would please add a new function: simple copy

Discuss new features and functions

szmsys

dear sir,
would please add a new function: simple copy, that is, no matter the source files changed or not, at every scheduled time, copy all files in source folder to destination, and move the last destination folder to old folder dated.

because I found some file changed in content but not changed on date and size.
compare content failed, due to files occupied by other program, for example, Microsoft SQL

thank you!

xCSxXenon

That can be achieved way easier by using a small script. You would probably want to use robocopy or xcopy. First, sound like you would copy and rename the destination folder though. This is better mainly because there is no waiting or dependency on a third party.

szmsys

robocopy , xcopy, unable to copy Microsoft SQL files。

therube

In Synchronization, using an Update sync, &, Delete files: -> Versioning, Time stamp [Folder], might get close to what you want.

With that the destination should have any files that were ever in your source, with changed files ending up in time stamped folders.

3FileSync

Giving this old feature request a new bump:
I'd like to see a "simple copy" feature myself!
Why?
I am having tedious problems with syncing especially protected directories with FreeFileSync.
A "simple copy" would be an elegant solution, as those directories are not very big (no hard need to compare before copying).
I know of course that I could use robocopy... BUT: I really appreciate having all my sync jobs well organized in one place (i.e. in FFS exclusively). I'd really like to avoid having to fall back to another tool utility only for one specific job, only because of weird file protection.

To be more specific (what do I want to achieve in the first place?):
I want to sync log files from my local Acronis True Image (backup software) installation, in order to analyse them automatically (for detecting and alerting failed backup jobs).
But Acronis is a tough nut, heavily protecting its own directories, apparently for security reasons. This results in very nasty file locks on the sync.db and sync_lock files which FFS wants to place inside the Acronis folders.
I don't want to put more effort in solving these weird locking issues, as a "simple copy" in FFS would do the trick. That's all.
Site Admin

Zenju

results in very nasty file locks on the sync.db and sync_lock files which FFS wants to place inside the Acronis folders.
I don't want to put more effort in solving these weird locking issues, as a "simple copy" in FFS would do the trick. That's all. 3FileSync, 26 Dec 2022, 20:13
Sounds like a FFS "mirror" will do that.

3FileSync

@Zenju: But doesn't "mirror" also rely on writing sync_lock files? I've tried it with mirror in my case.

Plerry

An FFS Mirror sync does not "rely" on sync_lock files.
FFS works just as well when you disable the use of sync_lock files, by setting the LockDirectoriesDuringSync flag to false.
Make sure to read why that feature is there, and the "risk" you run when disabling it.
That "risk" is the same as when introducing your suggested dedicated "simple copy" function.

3FileSync

FFS works just as well when you disable the use of sync_lock files, by setting the LockDirectoriesDuringSync flag to false Plerry, 03 Jan 2023, 10:49
Wasn't aware of that, thanks for pointing it out.
However, it doesn't solve my issue. I don't want to disable sync_lock globally. I just need the option to skip locking for specific jobs only.
Meanwhile, I've switched to robocopy for doing the copying in my specific case. It's not as elegant as having FFS do it, but I can live with it.

Plerry

Can be handled by FFS similar to as described in viewtopic.php?t=9914

3FileSync

Can be handled by FFS similar to as described in viewtopic.php?t=9914 Plerry, 04 Jan 2023, 10:39
In other words: Running my specific FFS jobs from command line, and passing a customized config file via command line parameter does the trick, correct?

If so, that is the quasi-perfect solution for me, as I am already starting everything from CLI (all my jobs are scheduled by windows tasks).
The 100% perfect solution would be a GUI option, of course. But I can live quite well with the alternative.

So thanks a thousand times for that hint!