Freefilesync showing wrong directories

Discuss new features and functions

keashdoc

Hi,

I am trying to backup a local folder (O:\) to a NAS drive (which is mapped via drive letter Q:).

When I Compare the folders, it shows "weird" folders instead of the ones that are there. The Folders it is showing are "@Recycle\[Folder]" which is very odd as there are no such folders on these drives. I tried a different program (Allway Sync) and it seemed to find the folders correctly. However, I love the design of the FreeFileSync so much better and would prefer to use it but not sure why its not finding the correct folders.

Thanks

Kris

therube

This "@Recycle\[Folder]" folder, that is showing up where, on your NAS?
Other then this folder, what other "weird" ones are there?

And other then these weird ones, do your expected folders show up both on the local & NAS ends?

FFS by default hides some "recycle-bins", but perhaps not one named, "@Recycle".
If that's the case, you can add it as an exclusion.

What type of NAS?

Plerry

In a Synology NAS, you can opt to have a "Recycle-bin" on a per share basis.
When "deleting" files from such shares on your NAS, they are not deleted but instead moved into a folder in the share that has the reserved name "@Recycle".
Other NAS brands may have similar features.
When accessing your NAS from a desktop or laptop computer, the OS (e.g. Windows) and any applications running on said computer (e.g. FFS) are blissfully unaware of this NAS feature, and may complain that no recycle bin is available and/or treat a @Recycle folder like any other folder.
It is best to simply add the @Recycle folder to the Exclude Filter.

keashdoc

I truly appreciate the replies. I have a QNAP NAS. I tried adding the @Recycle folder to the Exclude filter without success.

Plerry

The simplest way to correctly add items to your Exclude (or Include) Filter is run a compare in the FFS GUI, select the item and use the context menu (right-click).