"Detect moved files" fails on Mac after restart

Get help for specific problems

Elhem Enohpi

"Detect moved files" works as expected on my Mac - but only until I restart the computer. After that, it won't detect them anymore, and wants to erase and re-copy the file.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Set up a "mirror" sync, check the "Detect moved files" box, then run the sync.
2. Move a file on the left source disk into a subfolder in the same folder.
3. Run "Compare", and note that it will move the file on the right, not erase/copy.
4. Eject drives and re-mount them, or log out and log in, and run "Compare" again - note that it still works as expected.
5. Restart the computer and run "Compare" again.

Expected: to continue to detect and move the file on the right.
Actual: moved file no longer detected, file on the right will be erased from the folder, and copied again from the left into the subfolder.

macOS 10.14.6, copying between two HFS+ external USB3 HDD drives, each with FileVault enabled. Tested with FreeFileSync 11.3-11.5.

Plerry

Read the FFS Manual part on detecting moved files (at bottom).
> "Detection is not supported on file systems that don't have (stable) file IDs."
Unfortunately, several (all?) Lunix derived OS's only have stable file IDs per session, but not across sessions (e.g. after a restart).
Site Admin

Zenju

FFS is currently using the dev_t/ino_t pair. Unfortunately, unlike volume id on Windows, the dev_t is not stable. However there should be ways to mitigate => ToDo

Elhem Enohpi

It would be great if this could be fixed! I used to use GoodSync (until they went to a subscription model), and it does this no problem on Mac. I was very happy when I found FFS, it does pretty much everything GoodSync did (and some things even better) and it's open source. But this one feature is the main reason I used it, I have large files that I need to move around often. Now I'm using FFS to show me the changes, and I move them by hand, but that's tedious... so again, I hope this could be made to work!

xCSxXenon

Brilliant work! I don't use Mac, but glad to see they get some love

Elhem Enohpi

That's great! Using the new version, my backup time was reduced from 15 minutes to 15 seconds... thanks very much!