Transfer files using Wifi hotspot

Get help for specific problems

xaman

Hi,

I'm currently using MTR to do the syncing.

Want to know if it is possible to do syncing using Wifi hotspot (without using mobile data or Wifi network) like Xender and other Android file sharing apps do?

I'm in an environment where there is no Wifi network and my mobile data is limited.

xCSxXenon

If the devices can be accessed then that will work. It won't send the data to the cell towers

xaman

If I turn on my phone's wifi hotspot and the laptop is connected to it, how do I find the phone's file system in FFS on the laptop?

xCSxXenon

I thought you meant a standalone wifi hotspot, not using the phone itself as the hotspot. I don't know if using the phone as the hotspot exposes it to other devices on it's own hotspot. You'd have to try and use an app that opens the phone up as a network location

xaman

I managed to set up a FTP server on my phone but when I tried to access it on FFS, it is unable to enter the file system. It only shows "/storage/emulated" and "/storage/self". When I click on the "emulated" or "self" folder, nothing shows.

I used WinSCP and the browser, I'm able to access the full file system on the phone.

Any idea what's going on?

Gianni1962

Using this app:

WiFi FTP Server
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.medhaapps.wififtpserver

and using my Android phone as a hotspot I have no problem accessing and browsing all folders with FFS.

In the app I have disabled anonymous access and setup a user and a password of my choice.
Site Admin

Zenju

Just a hunch: Check if your FTP server is set to "implicit", and if so, change to "explicit" FTP.

xaman

Using this app:

WiFi FTP Server

and using my Android phone as a hotspot I have no problem accessing and browsing all folders with FFS.

In the app I have disabled anonymous access and setup a user and a password of my choice. Gianni1962, 01 Mar 2021, 09:01
I can't start the app if I'm not connected to a Wifi network or Mobile network. Does not start at all if I use wifi hotspot on the phone.
Just a hunch: Check if your FTP server is set to "implicit", and if so, change to "explicit" FTP. Zenju, 01 Mar 2021, 09:05
I'm using Primitive ftpd from f-droid. It does not have any option to set the FTP server to "implicit/explicit". I can only set the username, password, Public key Authentication, Type of server (FTP/SFTP), Port, Secure Port, IP pattern (no idea what this is) and anonymous login.

On the "Client Action Log", I can see that FFS accessed the FTP server. It's just that nothing shows up on FFS. Will post a screenshot later.

Edit:
This is the main page of Primitive ftpd. The "Client Action Log" shows that FFS did connect to the FTP server but nothing shows up on FFS.

This is the "Preferences" page of the app. There is no "implicit/explicit" option.

Gianni1962

This is my setup:

- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017
- no mobile data
- hotspot
- WiFi FTP Server or Primitive FTPd
- Windows 10 Pro
- FFS 11.6
- pc connected to phone hotspot

Both apps starts and works as expected with FFS.

- port: 2211
- no anonymous access
- username: user
- password: password

wobaozi

Using this app:

WiFi FTP Server

In the app I have disabled anonymous access and setup a user and a password of my choice. Gianni1962, 01 Mar 2021, 09:01
This method is very useful