macOS: ._ (dot underscore) files — correct Filter ?

Get help for specific problems

fofas

Hi everyone,

I have 2 volumes; one is 'Mac OS Extended', the other is ExFAT. So far, I've used 'Synkron'.

I'd guess it wouldn't make any sense to sync back all those dot underscore files on the ExFAT volume to the 'Mac OS Extended' volume …

I already found this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=6159

where someone recommends "*/._*"

Since I'm rather a Noob: What's the latest on that? Don't want to mess anything up ;)

Greetings

xCSxXenon

Nothing has changed, that should still work

fofas

Thanks for replying.

It seems that if I do the initial sync using FFS, then NO Apple Double files (dot underscore) are created on the ExFAT volume.

So maybe I'll just delete the whole ExFAT volume and sync again, using FFS from the outset.

xCSxXenon

That's an option for sure, but what if you just deleted the '._' files from the exFAT location? If you didn't do anything, nothing bad would happen anyhow, there would just be old/outdated '._' files on the exFAT location

fofas

I just discovered the following:

macOS Finder will NOT SHOW DOT_UNDERSCORE FILES, even if display of hidden files is active (Cmd+Shift+DOT).

FFS, on the other hand, DOES detect and display them, and therefore wants to sync them.

Just deleting ._files may be pointless, as they'll probably be created again, even if a file is just opened, let alone changed …

fofas

Syncing 'Mac OS Extended' ↔︎ 'ExFAT'

So here's what my 'Filter → Exclude:' looks like now:

/.fseventsd/
/.Spotlight-V100/
/.Trashes/
/._.Trashes
*/.DS_Store
/.DocumentRevisions-V100/
/.TemporaryItems/
*/._*

This seems to work.