Log file, flush output buffer

Discuss new features and functions

apecity

Hi,

I'm using FFS on Windows. I've selected txt format for log files. When running long jobs I've noticed that FFS doesn't write the log until it is done. I'd like to know if FFS could be changed so it flushes the log output buffer more frequently, so I could watch log activity as it happens?

Thanks!

xCSxXenon

That would fly by so fast in some cases lol

therube

Does a "temporary", even if "empty" file get created during this time or is there no file at all until the sync has finished?

(If there is some file, it is possible that its' size may show 0-bytes, yet the file is being updated? And if that were the case a file viewing utility might show the data. [Something like less or tail -f or any decent utility.)

I'd think it a simple (heh, ?) matter to tee the data to the file in realtime.

apecity

Computers cache output by default, as writing every byte to a disk one a time would be hugely inefficient. So writes get cached, and written when the cache fills up.

You may override this behavior. In perl for example, with the "$|=1" directive, so you can see log output in real time.

That FreeFileSync doesn't flush the output buffer isn't a bug. But by not doing so you can't use, as you suggested, tail -f, or Notepad++'s built-in similar functionality to do watch log output in something more like real time.

So I'm asking that at least the option to force output buffer flushing be added.