do you need to be logged on for Realsync to work

Get help for specific problems

lesgray

I can't seem to find anything on this. We are using Windows with a donation version of FFS. I want to maintain a constant sync of one folder to another (update), but I can't seem to find any information of whether you need to be logged in or not for RealSync to be active.

lesgray

obviously I am blind, as the answer is on the manual page :P

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=rts-as-service

Berndi

But this is not really a service. It is a scheduled task as system user. For example, the system user does not have the permissions to a UNC path I want to copy from. Among some other issues.

therube

For example, the system user does not have the permissions to a UNC path I want to copy from. Among some other issues.
Care to explain further?

xCSxXenon

For example, the system user does not have the permissions to a UNC path I want to copy from. Among some other issues.
Care to explain further? therube, 17 Nov 2021, 17:11
Network locations are per user, so a network location accessible by the user may not be accessible by SYSTEM.

Berndi

What we need is a Windows service which I can then run under a different user with permissions on the UNC paths.

therube

Network locations are per user
I knew mapped driver letters were per user.
And thought (something like) that UNC paths were at the OS level.

If I manually start a .ffs_real, from what I can see, it is running as user, 'therube'.
And both SYSTEM & therube have the same security permissions (full, read, write, execute) to the RealTimeSync.exe (RealTimeSync_x64.exe) process.

(Some of this is getting beyond me) so other methods of starting .ffs_real or just how "SYSTEM" might or might not play into this, I'm not really sure?

xCSxXenon

Well access to the RTS executable has nothing to do with access to a path