Unable to install the program

Get help for specific problems

alexabo

I am using the program for a while with complete satisfaction. Starting from 11.10 version I can not upgrade the program. This time I tried to upgrade to 11.14 version without success. Later I tried from the beginning, uninstalled the program and wanted to re-install, but it was impossible. I tried all versions including the working 11.10 same result. No error message shown.
Does any body have an idea what can be the problem and how to solve it/install the program?

therube

What OS?
Might your antivirus be interfering?

What version are you running currently? (Oh, is that 11.10?)
I tried to upgrade to 11.14 version without success
What did happen when you tried?
uninstalled the program and wanted to re-install, but it was impossible
Why was it impossible? What did happen?

Does the program actually install, but just not run?
Does (Windows) Task Manager or (Linux) ps show that "freefilesync" is in memory (even if not accessible)?

xCSxXenon

You can also use a tool like RevoUninstaller to search for files that may still exist and delete them. If you are using an antivirus other than Microsoft Security, really should just get rid of it and use Microsoft's offering.

alexabo

therube and xCSxXenon, Thank you for your assistance. I am using the program with win10, antivirus and security software used is Norton Internet Security (Norton 360). I tried with switching it off but did not help.
During installation it asks to allow to start the installation, but nothing happens later, no error messages or other sign of the problem, which is quite strange. The program is not installed at all (no folder or icon), for this reason I can not run. As I wrote I have used it without problem until 11.10 version, but now even this version can not be re-installed.
@xCSxXenon I have uninstalled the program using Iobit Uninstaller.

xCSxXenon

Windows is up to date?

alexabo

Yes, Windows 10 is up to date.

xCSxXenon

Obviously, try restarting your computer if you haven't already.
Open task manager and go to details, see if the FFS installer disappears from there too. You may need to run
sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
sfc /scannow

in a command window to maybe fix some Windows issue(s).

alexabo

There is no FFS installer in task manager.
After running the commands results copied below

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.19041.844
Image Version: 10.0.19042.1288
[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully.

In spite of that installation is not possible. When click on install button FFS installer appears then immediately disappears in task manager.

xCSxXenon

Maybe there is another program causing the issue. You'd have to run a process monitor to know. If this was in my store, I would start by uninstalling any 'junkware', things that just aren't necessary for a computer anymore, like PC cleaners, third-party antivirus, anything that claims to "optimize" your PC, registry, drivers, or something similar. If that isn't applicable, download the media creation tool from Microsoft and use it to repair your Windows install by "upgrading" it.
Site Admin

Zenju

No error message shown. alexabo, 11 Oct 2021, 13:19
Sounds like the installer is crashing.

Someone very clever at Microsoft thought: "Users are unhappy when apps crash. So let's hide the crash dialog and pretend nothing happened. Everyone will be happy again!1"

This person got a bonus and implemented the "DontShowUI" registry setting.

To undo this insanity, make sure you have the following:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting]
"DontShowUI"=dword:00000000