Is it intended that RealTimeSync remains inactive until all entered paths are available?

Get help for specific problems

snx

I use FreeFileSync as backup software to mirror the contents of [internalSSD1] to [internalSSD2]/backup and [extnernalHDD]/backup. To do this, I have RealTimeSync monitor some internal and one external drive for (folder) changes.

This is my directory monitoring in RealTimeSync:
[internalSSD1]
[internalSSD2]/backup
[extnernalHDD]/backup

However, RealTimeSync remains inactive (gray icon) until the [extnernalHDD]/backup is attached and only then becomes active (red icon). I would expect it to be active when even a single working (internal) path is detected. This way a backup can be written to [internalSSD2]/backup whenever a change is made.

If it is split into two independent RealTimeSync instances it works fine:

RealTimeSync instance 1:
[internalSSD1]
[internalSSD2]/backup

RealTimeSync instance 2:
[internalSSD1]
[extnernalHDD]/backup

Is it intended that RealTimeSync remains inactive until _all_ entered paths (in this case the path to the external drive) are available?

Plerry

FreeFileSync (FFS) only runs a sync if all the left and right locations of a sync are available.
Assuming that your RealTimeSync (RTS) job is 1-on-1 linked to an FFS sync on the same folders being monitored by the RTS job, the FFS job that would be launched by RTS would still fail if not all left-right pairs are available.
And hence it is better to have two different RTS jobs; each RTS job launching a different FFS sync on the left-right pair being monitored by the respective RTS job.

snx

Thanks for your explanation, makes sense in any case. However, according to my intuition, inaccessible paths would simply be skipped (with errors).

I am aware that the manual should contain only the most relevant information and be as concise as possible but I feel it is important to mention that as an additional condition all paths must be accessible to trigger the command line. The way it is formulated in the manual is not clear in my opinion.

"The function of RealTimeSync is to execute a command line each time it detects changes in one of the monitored directories, or when a directory becomes available (e. g. insert of a USB-stick). Usually this command line will trigger a FreeFileSync batch job."
https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=realtimesync