exclusion for windows defender

Discuss new features and functions

pablo1506

I've installed FFS on my company workstation and IT team detected "new exclusion for Windows Defender for 'c:\program files\freefilesync\bin\*' ". Since I did not run that command, situation seemed quite alarming. Yet antivirus had no problem with FFS. I've searched forum and changelog and found out that setup adds exclusions from version 10.12 to fix CURLE_PARTIAL_FILE error. But when IT guy asked "do you trust application hiding itself from antivirus without your consent?" answer was obvious.

I think that adding exclusion should be optional. This is potential security risk, so user should make informed decision. If I understand correctly, error occurs only for network sync (FTP or Google Drive), so for local scenarios (for example offline backup on portable drive) exclusion is not even needed.

P.S.
Personally, I do trust this application.
Site Admin

Zenju

Agreed, automatically adding Defender exclusions indeed looks a bit fishy. On the other hand Defender cripples another apps function (FFS's) with very little regard. It's similar to Windows 10 browser choice, where the OS sets "Edge" as default at every opportunity and blocks attempts from Firefox trying to set the default, disregarding the user's explicit choice. It's one of these cases where the OS decides what's good for the user, but it's wrong. And now the user should "pay" by having to deal with extra complexity by having to understand yet another cryptic option added. This is generally not the FFS way.

himanshu3

Is there any solution for Defender rejecting filesync?

xCSxXenon

Seems to be isolated incidents
What version?

himanshu3

I am running
Version: 21H2
Build: 19044.1826

xCSxXenon

FFS version

himanshu3

11.22, 64 bit, Donation Edition

xCSxXenon

Not seeing any issue with Defender rejecting FFS

BoehserWolf

Having the some trouble with our IT department currently. Since FFS puts the exe on the whitelist of the Defender, the whole application got blocked from security department.
Is there any chance to change this behaviour?