Google Drive access to My Computer directories

Get help for specific problems

runes

Hi there!
Ive connected my Google Drive up ok, however as Ive been syncing using Windows software also named Google Drive (and previously Google Backup and Sync) its been uploading to a separate set of root directories in Drive under the title 'My Computers' . I cant seem to find or access this in FreeFileSync, is there a different way?

Google Drive has been a pain with syncing as it insists on multiple (around 8-10) parallel uploads, cant be configured or changed, which for large files is impractical at my upload speeds.

runes

As I recall the reason for doing it this way was you couldnt store photos in original resolution - with 'My Drive' it would insist on changin the photos to a lower resolution hence not a true backup. With the 'Computers' section it allows a proper backup.

Thanks for the links - it appears theres a workaround mentioned here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/70334122?pli=1
Whereby one can enter the Computer name (Its simply 'My PC' , 'My PC(1)' etc in my setup) and be able to access via calling getFoldersByName. Is it possible to do this? In the FFS 'Access Online Storage' dialog box under 'Select Drive' if a free field was added to type in the name would this work?

Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

Maybe there is a somewhat decent workaround:
FreeFileSync could add the folders that are "starred" to the list of drives. This list is easy to get, and wouldn't require any hackery to emulate a missing Google API in a bad way.
So all you would have to do then is mark the computer under "My Computers" as starred, and it would appear for selection in FreeFileSync.
Site Admin

Zenju

Implemented for FreeFileSync 11.19!
- Support sync with Google Drive starred folders
- Access "My Computers" (as created by Google Backup and Sync) if starred

runes

Hi Zenju - brill solution it works well- I can see starred Computers and starred subfolders in the My Drive list now and access them. Thanks!

GTM501

I'm having a hard time following this step.
I stared a folder in GD that i need synced on my PC. I also have GD Sync running on my PC.
I connected GD to FFS via the built in option. Nothing but this error... TIA

Cannot read file "gdrive:\greg@southwestcomputers.us:- Clients\-Accounts and passwords".

Only files with binary content can be downloaded. Use Export with Docs Editors files.

Maybe there is a somewhat decent workaround:
FreeFileSync could add the folders that are "starred" to the list of drives. This list is easy to get, and wouldn't require any hackery to emulate a missing Google API in a bad way.
So all you would have to do then is mark the computer under "My Computers" as starred, and it would appear for selection in FreeFileSync. Zenju, 16 Apr 2022, 09:20

GTM501

I'm also getting a bunch of thesse...

4:15:01 PM Error Cannot read file attributes of "gdrive:\greg@southwestcomputers.us\1. SWC\- Clients\A\ABT Plumbing\Note Nov 16, 2021.pdf".
The name "Note Nov 16, 2021.pdf" is used by more than one item in the folder.

xCSxXenon

I'm also getting a bunch of thesse...

4:15:01 PM Error Cannot read file attributes of "gdrive:\greg@southwestcomputers.us\1. SWC\- Clients\A\ABT Plumbing\Note Nov 16, 2021.pdf".
The name "Note Nov 16, 2021.pdf" is used by more than one item in the folder. GTM501, 02 Jan 2024, 00:17
That is completely unrelated to this thread. You have multiple files with the same name and in the same location in Google Drive, FFS can't figure out which one to use because you shouldn't be allowed to have multiple files with the same name in the same location, and you need to change the name of one of them.