Datewise backup problem when using RealtimeSync

Get help for specific problems

ricoh83

Hello,

I've setup datewise backup to a usb using %timestamp% in the target folder which works perfectly manually but when I try to automate it by setting it up in realtimesync it does not sync. Please check the picture for further details.
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-15 at 12.49.39 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-06-15 at 12.49.39 PM.jpeg (37.57 KiB) Viewed 726 times
I think the program is expecting the folder circled in blue in the pic, in the usb drive for it to start. The problem remains even after selecting Ignore Errors.

Please help. Thank you.

xCSxXenon

RTS can't monitor a folder that doesn't exist. You should have two folders that are being monitored in the RTS config, remove the entry that is monitoring the USB and leave the entry monitoring the source.

ricoh83

Hi thanks for the reply. If I remove the entry monitoring the USB then how will RTS take datewise backup to USB on insertion ?

Plerry

> then how will RTS take datewise backup to USB on insertion ?
Create a separate RTS job for your USB related job;
each RTS job only launching its releated specific sync
It is perfectly fine to have multiple RTS jobs running in parallel.

xCSxXenon

Or, a better solution would be to change the RTS config from monitoring the datewise folder on the usb drive to monitoring for the USB drive itself. Change it to "[USB NAME]"

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=variable-drive-letters

ricoh83

Or, a better solution would be to change the RTS config from monitoring the datewise folder on the usb drive to monitoring for the USB drive itself. Change it to "[USB NAME]"

https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=variable-drive-letters xCSxXenon, 16 Jun 2022, 15:21
If I'm keeping it to monitoring USB itself then its not taking automatic datewise backup. Its just taking the normal incremental backup. This also replies to Plerrys solution.

xCSxXenon

If the USB isn't the source, then it doesn't matter, no? RTS monitoring the actual source is what is going to trigger the sync. RTS doesn't define what the actual sync does, it is simply saying "There was a change in a monitored directory, run the command". The command can do whatever you want. If RTS is only monitoring the source for changes, it will still run the same sync config and back it up to the datewise folder on the USB drive. FFS and RTS are completely separate and unintegrated, changes in one have nothing to do with the other.