patrickdrd

hello,
so I downloaded portable new version from the thank you page and
I 've overwriten previous files,
and I get :

---------------------------
FreeFileSync – An exception occurred
Installation files are corrupted. Please reinstall FreeFileSync.

Consistency check failed for "D:\Utilities\PortableApps\FreeFileSyncPortable\App\FreeFileSync\Resources\Registered.dat".

Invalid checksum
OK

so, how can I update my portable ffs?

edit: it seems that I have to activate again, why?

patrickdrd

please answer @Zenju
Site Admin

Zenju

I have no idea what you're doing. Looks like you somehow integrated FreeFileSync into "PortableApps".

patrickdrd

yes, I have it installed there and I sync this folder (with FFS) on 3 different computers (sometimes even 4),
but when copying over those executable files, I get the above message, can I somehow get rid of that and have my installation activated for lifetime?

as I understand it, I need to activate every time so that you know what version I'm running (no internet access to ffs inside this portableapps folder)

xCSxXenon

I have used FFS portable inside PortableApps without any issues with updating. You have to run the portable edition once locally, then transfer it to the portable device.

patrickdrd

well, that's how I did it too,
but I can't say I like it, terrible implementation @Zenju,
feels like this guy needs to track when we update,
how many devices we use FFS and so on..
couldn't it be a one-tine-only activation?
I just don't understand why this guy makes our life complicated each and every time in this matter..
I've used and I'm using tons of utilities and software and this is the only one so complicated in terms of activation..

xCSxXenon

Then go somewhere else? Zenju hasn't caused this problem.

patrickdrd

who has,? it's his app, no?
Site Admin

Zenju

but when copying over those executable files patrickdrd, 01 Aug 2022, 11:10
That's the problem. By only copying some files of the FFS package (instead of everything) you've ended up with a corrupted installation.

patrickdrd

no, I copied all the files included, but new versions need new dat files, that's the problem, that we can't use older ones again, they are useless after update and we need to activate again, which, well.. sucks..

xCSxXenon

What's the ETA on the next release Zenju? My portable version is fully updated so I can't test as of now

patrickdrd

what worked for me (after first failure copying only executables) was copying all 3 dat files: registered.dat, install.dat and animal.dat from the new location to the installation folder..
what's ironic is that you can't use ffs to sync ffs portable to another computer, well, makes no sense to me and is such an irony