Crash software

Get help for specific problems

grunsel00

I just installed latest version and when i press compare software stops after a few seconds.
PC is Windows 11. But i can't add dump file, too large
Site Admin

Zenju

https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#crash
2. Next, compress the .dmp file as zip or rar and send it to . If the attachment's size is too large for email, upload it to some free file hoster and send the link instead.

xCSxXenon

Try the previous version

BlackForester

After installing of version 11.24 on OpenSuSE Leap 15.3 there are two issues:

-- As has been reported already, the gui crashes right after start of a directory comparison
-- Saved sync settings are reported as having the wrong format although they worked flawlessly in version 11.23 and before, e.g. they are "wrong" even for very simple settings, i.e. syncing two directorys, sftp/ftp not being involved

I removed version 11.24 and switched back to 11.23.
Site Admin

Zenju

-- As has been reported already, the gui crashes right after start of a directory comparison BlackForester, 31 Aug 2022, 07:06
The report was on Windows, not Linux. What do you see logged in the terminal when the crash happens?

-- Saved sync settings are reported as having the wrong format although they worked flawlessly in version 11.23 and before, e.g. they are "wrong" even for very simple settings, i.e. syncing two directorys, sftp/ftp BlackForester, 31 Aug 2022, 07:06
What do you mean the format is wrong?

BlackForester

Well, in order to check the terminal etc. I would need to reinstall the crashing version, which is of no use to me currently since I need the tool very frequently -- I am a user which has donated the software multiple times.
Site Admin

Zenju

Well, in order to check the terminal etc. I would need to reinstall the crashing version, which is of no use to me currently since I need the tool very frequently -- I am a user which has donated the software multiple times. BlackForester, 31 Aug 2022, 09:01
That's a shame. This could have helped to improve the application.

Amix

Hi, currently I am using a Linux Arch-derivate: 5.15.60-1-MANJARO
* My 1st issue:
Version 11.25 crashes during directory comparison - although NOT with every directory whereas with version 11.23 it works like a charm.

Unfortunately the logfiles don't show anything, but thanks to your question I started FFS from the command line, and there is some output - as suspected, it has something to do with character encoding.
---
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
what(): ../../zen/zstring.cpp[119] Error normalizing string:
LinuxMagazin/html/2002/11/lebri/Pl�schPingi.jpg

Conversion failed. [g_utf8_normalize]
Error starting "/home/XXXX/FreeFileSync/Bin/FreeFileSync_x86_64".
Killed by signal 6
---
Maybe that helps.

* My 2nd issue: when I freshly synced two directories - the timestamps are not copied. Therefore the directories are not recognized as the same.
Using rsync there is no problem with timestamp copying (unless ctime) from source to destination - but that doesn't work in FFS any more. I am sure if the problem here is in front of the screen, or in the software - maybe I have messed up the settings somehow... but if I messed up some settings I cannot find them at the moment.

Thanks for that great piece of software and good luck hunting the bug!
Chris.
Site Admin

Zenju

@grunsel00:
Still waiting for your crash dump to analyze.

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
LinuxMagazin/html/2002/11/lebri/Pl�schPingi.jpg

Conversion failed. [g_utf8_normalize]
Error starting "/home/XXXX/FreeFileSync/Bin/FreeFileSync_x86_64". Amix, 01 Sep 2022, 12:43
Fixed: https://www.mediafire.com/file/tvf1xdovip42xs5/FreeFileSync_11.26_beta_Linux.tar.gz

* My 2nd issue: when I freshly synced two directories - the timestamps are not copied. Therefore the directories are not recognized as the same.
Using rsync there is no problem with timestamp copying (unless ctime) from source to destination - but that doesn't work in FFS any more. Amix, 01 Sep 2022, 12:43
Are there warnings logged during sync?

sagitario

Hi,
I have the same problem. Software stops a few seconds after starts the compare.
Have send the dump file for your email.
Back to 11.23 works well.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Site Admin

Zenju

Thanks in advance.
Regards, sagitario, 02 Sep 2022, 17:16
Fixed: https://www.mediafire.com/file/lxyyrlwh5jxb32z/FreeFileSync_11.26_beta_Windows_Setup.exe

patrickdrd

Hi,
Thanks in advance.
how are we paid users supposed to go back to previous version? where is previous portable version for us?
or do we have to wait for a new version soon @zenju?

xCSxXenon

Hi,
Thanks in advance.
how are we paid users supposed to go back to previous version? where is previous portable version for us?
or do we have to wait for a new version soon @zenju? patrickdrd, 02 Sep 2022, 22:25
You have to use the old installer(s) you originally downloaded or wait for the new one

chota300

2022-09-03 Similar/same problem.
Win10 64bit v11.23 worked aok for all my 4 sync jobs.
Both v11.24 and v11.25 crash on one specific job, which I had not run since late July when I was on v11.23.
My other 3 sync jobs continued to work in both v11.24 and v11.25.
Reverting to v11.23 allowed my problem sync job to complete successfully again.

I do not know what might be different in the problem sync job.
I do not care to send my dmp files.
Will wait for v11.26+.
Thank you.

Amix

Wow, thanks! Will check this version today.
* My 2nd issue: when I freshly synced two directories - the timestamps are not copied. Therefore the directories are not recognized as the same. Using rsync there is no problem with timestamp copying (unless ctime) from source to destination - but that doesn't work in FFS any more. Amix, 01 Sep 2022, 12:43
Are there warnings logged during sync? Zenju, 02 Sep 2022, 15:43
Nope, no warnings - when comparing again every file is found to be different because of the date and since on the destination it's newer it is scheduled to be synced back (if setting is "two ways").
Well, but I am not 100% sure which version it was but I will run some tests today.

Thanks, so far for your support.

sagitario

Thanks in advance.
Fixed: https://www.mediafire.com/file/lxyyrlwh5jxb32z/FreeFileSync_11.26_beta_Windows_Setup.exe Zenju, 02 Sep 2022, 21:20
Work like a charm. Keep it up the good work. Thanks.

therube

./Pl�schPingi.jpg
So was this the issue, the handling of the "unicode" character in the filename?

(I just came across something similar in ffmpeg [& its' 'concat' feature & "unicode"].)
Site Admin

Zenju

./Pl�schPingi.jpg
So was this the issue, the handling of the "unicode" character in the filename? therube, 06 Sep 2022, 16:56
That's an (incorrectly) ANSI-encoded string, evaluated as UTF8.

FreeFileSync 11.24 [2022-08-28]
-------------------------------
Strict validation of UTF encoding
Turns out everything that can go wrong, does go wrong in practice. 11.24 was a bit of a leap of faith.
It turned undefined behavior, into defined behavior, even if this meant crashing. That's better than it sounds, because older releases silently ignored these errors. 11.25 improves upon crashing and handles the additional cases that came to light: "broken UTF encoding", "Unicode non-characters".