[Solved] Freefilesync installer won't run Linux

Get help for specific problems

tippunmon

I regularly install Freefilesync in any Linux installation I use. I have installed and used Freefilesync quite happily in Debian, Mint, Ubuntu, Arch, Fedora, Opensuse etc etc with no problem.

This morning I installed Sparky Linux Minimal, which is based on Debian Testing and uses Openbox Window Manager. As usual, I downloaded the most current edition of Freefilesync from the website, extracted the archive and the installation file would not run. No reaction at all. Checked it is executable, checked and verified permissions correctly set, tried to run in Terminal all good.

Sparky Linux Minimal is stated as being "100% Debian Compatible", so my only conclusion is that a dependency or libfile or something is needed to enable the installer to function. Has anyone any ideas/advice/recommendations please to help me install Freefilesync?
Last edited by tippunmon on 17 Sep 2022, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

Zenju

Which terminal is Sparky Linux using? You can find out via:
ls -l /proc/$$/exe

tippunmon

Thanks, I'll do as you say but I tried via root in all the terminals with no success. I will go and load the command you kindly suggested. Thank you. I'll update later today.

tippunmon

Defaults to lxterminal. Still no success installing freefilesync

tippunmon

Sorted it now. The issue seems to be that I installed and was using my preferred file manager Nemo to pick the installation file which usually works fine of course. I thought about your default terminal suggestion which inspired me to use the default file manager which is pcmanfm to double-click the install icon and now installed the program successfully. Many thanks!
Site Admin

Zenju

Does the following version install when double-clicking in Nemo?
https://www.mediafire.com/file/xnudox8fdzx0k4d/FreeFileSync_11.26_beta_Linux.tar%25283%2529.gz

Are any of the following terminals available on your system?
/usr/bin/gnome-terminal
/usr/bin/konsole
/usr/bin/xfce4-terminal
/usr/bin/xterm

tippunmon

Screenshot_2022-09-17_14-50-22.png
Screenshot_2022-09-17_14-50-22.png (96.48 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
Not with my installation.

NB didn't work under default pcmanfm either same result archive not recognised
Site Admin

Zenju

Please remove the "(3)" part from the file name and try again.

tippunmon

Did so = All good; works absolutely fine straightaway
Site Admin

Zenju

Awesome! So adding support for lxterminal fixed it.

I just don't understand how the original FFS installer could have worked at all using pcmanfm. Unless pcmanfm has some special logic to open the console when "/bin/bash" is executed? (FFS uses /bin/bash if it doesn't recognize one of the terminals in viewtopic.php?t=9626#p35240

tippunmon

When I queried the terminal, the result indicated /bin/bash but your comments led me to try the installation via the provided default pcmanfm rather than my preferred terminal nemo. All good now, thanks for your interest and support.