Cannot move files from disk to external memory (smartphone)

Get help for specific problems

sronweb

Hello' please could you help about this issue:
if I sync between a local drive and a mounted smartphone I get an error on Ubuntu as below message:

Cannot move file
"/run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp:host=Google_Pixel_6_Pro_21041FDEE004NW/Internal shared storage/Music/Indie - Folk/Astronauts, etc. - Eye to Eye~d968.ffs_tmp" to
"/run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp:host=Google_Pixel_6_Pro_21041FDEE004NW/Internal shared storage/Music/Indie - Folk/Astronauts, etc. - Eye to Eye.mp3".

EIO: Errore di input/output [rename]

I have the option to skip fail-safe copy but finally the date will not be stored so basically i cannot sync the data. I have also a partition with Window 10, where I can sync without problems. I guess its about the difference in permissions on data in the smartphone which manage the temporary files or similar. Please, do you have advice? Thanks

xCSxXenon

viewtopic.php?t=8728

With mtp, you will always lose timestamps. I switch to File size for my syncing to/from my phone
Site Admin

Zenju

With mtp, you will always lose timestamps. xCSxXenon, 16 Oct 2022, 18:39
Not always. Syncing timestamps works on the latest Android.

sronweb

Not always. Syncing timestamps works on the latest Android. Zenju, 16 Oct 2022, 18:44
Thank you both for the reply.
If I understand correctly MTP is well managed perhaps in the FFS Windows version but not in Linux/Gnu?
In effect in Windows I keep the timestamp of the files.
Of course I may temporary use the "trick" to sync by file size instead, but it would be not safe, with risk to losing some data.
Site Admin

Zenju

Indeed, I was refering to FreeFileSync on Windows. On Linux there is no MTP support in FreeFileSync, and the gvfs (file system) always loses timestamps, as xCSxXenon correctly said.

xCSxXenon

Not always. Syncing timestamps works on the latest Android. Zenju, 16 Oct 2022, 18:44
Well it's about time! lol
Shame that they seem to be band-aiding MTP instead of coming up with something more reliable. Maybe they will work on some other issues

sronweb

I can image that it's not easy development but if it's possible to manage in Windows I hope FFS will be improved with better support on Linux users (I guess we are increasing....). Thanks to the developers for the great job in FFS.

sronweb

PS: Apparently the input/output error copying on MTP, has been fixed with last FFS update. At least it does not appear to me, then after sync, the timestamp on the copied files has been updated correctly. Anyone can also confirm it?