Installation of a new version

Get help for specific problems

Piero07

In the Faq you say that I can safely install a new version of FreeFileSync in a directory that contains an old version. However, the meaning of the next sentence is not clear: "FreeFileSync will recognize the previous installation and clean up thoroughly if you choose to uninstall later".
Does this mean both versions remain installed and I can uninstall the old version later?
Thanks to those who will explain the exact meaning to me

Piero07

Thank you for your replay, but the text in your link is the same as the one I've found. Consequentely I still don't understand the meaning of "FreeFileSync will recognize the previous installation and clean up thoroughly if you choose to uninstall later".
Do I have to uninstall later in order to cleanup? Both versions remain installed and I can uninstall only the old version? What else can it mean?

therube

What it looks like to me...

If you install into the same directory as existing, existing is removed & new is installed anew.

If you install into a different directory, existing is retained & new is installed into the newly specified directory.

As for the uninstall, best I can tell is that only the last installed version shows up in Add or Remove Programs (in Windows).

Yep, that is what happened.
Older version was left (& is not available for "uninstall" through Add or Remove Programs), & the newer version was removed.

And that said...

If you go into the older versions installation directory, there is an /Uninstall/ subdirectory, & within there, unins000.exe, & if you double-click that, that will uninstall the older version.
Site Admin

Zenju

Thank you for your replay, but the text in your link is the same as the one I've found. Consequentely I still don't understand the meaning of "FreeFileSync will recognize the previous installation and clean up thoroughly if you choose to uninstall later".
Do I have to uninstall later in order to cleanup? Both versions remain installed and I can uninstall only the old version? What else can it mean? Piero07, 02 Nov 2022, 19:16
Reload the page.

Piero07

For therube: many thanks to for the complete and comprehensive reply.
For Zenju: Reload the page? If I reload the page the text is always the same
Site Admin

Zenju

For therube: many thanks to for the complete and comprehensive reply.
For Zenju: Reload the page? If I reload the page the text is always the same Piero07, 02 Nov 2022, 22:33
The text has been changed, your browser is likely still showing the old/cached version.

Plerry

> The text has been changed, your browser is likely still showing the old/cached version.
It may also be that a (company or provider) proxy is doing the buffering for you ...

Piero07

It is very strange. As a browser I use Firefox, but I also tried to open the page with Edge. The result does not change: always the old text. At this point I tried with the smartphone not connected to my home wifi in order to use a different internet provider. Also in this case the text of the page does not change.
I think the problem may be caused by your system