RTS doesn't work with Google Drive, but...

Get help for specific problems

theleetbeagle

Is it correct that RTS will not work with Google Drive?

I can write a script that will click on Synchronize in FFS every 5 seconds and it works fine.

So why doesn't RTS have the ability to use Google Drive?

Thank you.

xCSxXenon

Google Drive doesn't support monitoring, which is what RTS is designed to do. RTS is not a replacement for Task Scheduler

theleetbeagle

Google Drive doesn't support monitoring, which is what RTS is designed to do. RTS is not a replacement for Task Scheduler xCSxXenon, 12 Dec 2022, 22:50
It just doesn't make any sense. FFS supports synchronization on Google Drive, but RTS, a program designed to run in real time, won't do it.

Instead, I have to resort to task scheduler.

I got it working. Sort of. But it seems completely counter intuitive.

I think you're going to find a lot of people running into this issue. You may as well have a big old Dialog Box pop up that says, "Hey you're trying to do this exact thing everyone else is doing, but we don't support it. Instead of googling the solution, which is to write task scheduler scripts, just go ahead and write task scheduler scripts."

Plerry

If your message is intended as criticism, you should not criticize FreeFileSync (FFS) and/or RealTimeSync (RTS), but rather Google Drive.

If you read the RTS manual page, you can read what RTS does (get notified by the OS if changes in the monitored directories occur) and why (only run FFS when changes did occur). The FFS author made RTS available, as there are few other tools that can do what RTS does.
And yes, the fact that Google Drive does not support directory monitoring means you can not use RTS to monitor your Google Drive for changes (you can still use RTS to monitor your "local" drives for changes, if those changes would originate "locally").
But if changes originate on your Google Drive, you need to revert to frequently running FFS. As essentially all OS's have built-in tools for doing that (like the Windows Task Scheduler), there was/is no need to provide a dedicated (RTS-like) tool for that. Instead, the FFS manual describes how to use the OS built-in tool for that purpose.

xCSxXenon

Google Drive doesn't support monitoring, which is what RTS is designed to do. RTS is not a replacement for Task Scheduler xCSxXenon, 12 Dec 2022, 22:50
It just doesn't make any sense. FFS supports synchronization on Google Drive, but RTS, a program designed to run in real time, won't do it.

I think you're going to find a lot of people running into this issue. You may as well have a big old Dialog Box pop up that says, "Hey you're trying to do this exact thing everyone else is doing, but we don't support it. Instead of googling the solution, which is to write task scheduler scripts, just go ahead and write task scheduler scripts." theleetbeagle, 12 Dec 2022, 23:00
It makes complete sense. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
If your car only supports diesel fuel and you try to put standard gas in it, it's not the gas station's fault when it doesn't work. It does have that dialog box as far as I know. See here:
viewtopic.php?t=9737

Although that does go on to say the message seems to only show up in Windows, but that is what you are using

theleetbeagle

I think you're going to find a lot of people running into this issue. You may as well have a big old Dialog Box pop up that says, "Hey you're trying to do this exact thing everyone else is doing, but we don't support it. Instead of googling the solution, which is to write task scheduler scripts, just go ahead and write task scheduler scripts." theleetbeagle, 12 Dec 2022, 23:00
It makes complete sense. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
If your car only supports diesel fuel and you try to put standard gas in it, it's not the gas station's fault when it doesn't work. It does have that dialog box as far as I know. See here:
viewtopic.php?t=9737

Although that does go on to say the message seems to only show up in Windows, but that is what you are using xCSxXenon, 13 Dec 2022, 15:29
If I put signs on the side of the freeway for a fueling station, then when I arrive find out it only supports diesels, with instructions to then drive down the street for gasoline, I'd be pretty frustrated.

xCSxXenon

lol, not the same at all, but whatever. You're allowed to be wrong I guess