Correct behavior for NTFS-compressed files

Discuss new features and functions

FreeFileLove

The changelog for FreeFileSync v11.29 states:
Compress copied file only if target folder is marked as NTFS-compressed (Windows)
Is this the desired/correct behavior?

I took a look at several Windows boxes (and their backups), and they all have NTFS-compressed files in folders that are not themselves marked as compressed (meaning some of the files are compressed in the folders and some are not). Consequently, one would want the backups to match (which, at least prior to FreeFileSync v11.29, they did).
Site Admin

Zenju

I'm not sure what would be "best". At least FreeFileSync is consistent with Windows Explorer now: viewtopic.php?t=9822

FreeFileLove

I'm not sure what would be "best". At least FreeFileSync is consistent with Windows Explorer now: viewtopic.php?t=9822 Zenju, 17 Dec 2022, 08:23
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure either.

I can, naturally, only speak for myself, but I liked the previous behavior much more. Here's why: I have some folders on SSD that contain hundreds of files. For performance reasons, those folders are not compressed (decompression uses too much CPU). But a handful of the files are very large (multiple GB), and must be compressed to prevent filling up the SSD. Thus the folder is not compressed, but specific files are compressed.

When the new version of FreeFileSync tries to back up these folders, performance is significantly degraded. The backups are written to external HDDs, and writing those files without compression is lethargic. Plus, of course, it causes backup storage to fill up where previously there was sufficient storage.

This seems to be one of those "there is no absolutely one right way" situations. So maybe an option that the user can toggle is in order?

BTW, unrelated, if you get a moment to look at this, it will be appreciated:
viewtopic.php?p=36166

xCSxXenon

Options are always nice, but feature creep is dangerous!
I definitely think that staying consistent with native Windows behavior is ultimately best, if there can only be one.