Disk I/O Usage, maybe?

Get help for specific problems

xelu01

Hello,

I just setup a mirror setup from my TrueNAS to my drobo so i can have two copies of my data but my question is will everytime it needs to scan my truenas and compare to drobo wear the drive out overtime in like years or anything like this? Or am i just thinking too much about this and if it will damage these drives.

Plerry

Assuming you will at most only run an FFS sync a couple of times per day, you can consider that to be fairly infrequent in terms of potential disk wear-out.

Obviously, every time you run a sync in FFS, it will first perform a Compare on every file within the scope of the sync. Depending the type of Compare you selected, it will just read the file date/time and size from the file index, or the entire file contents, if you compare by contents.
But in any case, those are just a read actions, no write actions.
For hard-disks there is not much wear-out in either case, but for SSD-disks, write actions ultimately cause wear-out, read actions do not.

But as stated above, even write actions by FFS are relatively so infrequent, that you can ignore the wear-out potentially caused by FFS write actions.
Conversely, if you would use your SSD as a swap-partition for your OS, your SSD write actions can be extremely frequent (thousands of times per second, if not more). But with modern SSDs with up-to-date SSD firmware, even that will hardly wear-out your SSD.
Last edited by Plerry on 05 Jan 2023, 07:43, edited 2 times in total.

xelu01

Wonderful to hear! Does it have to scan every file every day to see which files changed?

Plerry

You determine yourself how often for your use-case you need to run a Compare+Sync.
Some do it once every week, others once every day, and some one every hour.
You can also use RealTimeSync to run FFS according to need, i.e. only if changes occurred.

xelu01

Appreciate the response, i think once a day is fine. Now trying to get task scheduler to automate it and not break every morning will be good.