"/silent" and "install.dat"

Get help for specific problems

mantiscorp

I install FreeFileSync 10.8 on a fresh Windows 10.
I get an exception that "silent install is supported only in donated version" and the installation closes.
After that I try to start FreeFileSync and get an exception that install.dat is missing (probably due to exception above).
Please help

doti

Hi, i have the same problem. Did you solve it?

mantiscorp

Hi, i have the same problem. Did you solve it? doti, 29 Jul 2019, 11:23
I tried the latest version, the bug is still here

Plerry

I don't know why you call this a bug.
It is simply the choice of the author of FFS to support silent installation, along with some other features, only for the donation version. See here.

mantiscorp

It is simply the choice of the author of FFS to support silent installation, along with some other features, only for the donation version. See here. Plerry, 29 Jul 2019, 12:50
I think this is a bug since I can't even install and run a version newer than 10.2.
I don't want a silent installation or something else, just to run the downloaded setup file.

doti

It is simply the choice of the author of FFS to support silent installation, along with some other features, only for the donation version. See here. Plerry, 29 Jul 2019, 12:50
For me it is a bug. Duration edition is not a free program. My client order FreeFileSync not duration edition and I need silent install.

Plerry

@mantiscorp
I don't want a silent installation ...
The title of your post ("/silent" ...) suggested otherwise, hence my reply.
For what it is worth: I have never encountered any problems with installation of FFS.
I smoothly installed FFS 10.2 on a fresh Win10, and migrated since then to 10.3, 10.4, 10.6, 10.9, 10.12 and am now at 10.14 . (All installed by simply double-clicking on the downloaded FFS installation file for Windows).
So, if you don't add "/silent" as an option to the FFS installer, I have no clue why it assumes you want to perform a silent installation.

@doti
Well, you are entitled to have your opinion.
But I don't think many will agree with you.
In essentially all software that is available in a free and in a paid version, the paid version has features not supported by the free version. That's a lot of bugs out there ...

mantiscorp

So, if you don't add "/silent" as an option to the FFS installer, I have no clue why it assumes you want to perform a silent installation. Plerry, 30 Jul 2019, 06:57
I haven't even known about this option before I had got this error message.
If I install 10.2, the setup runs ok and the app works ok.
If I install 10.14, the setup shows the error about the "silent option" and the started app says the installation files are damaged.
I run both setups in the same way.
Is there any debug info that I can provide?
Site Admin

Zenju

I haven't even known about this option before I had got this error message.
If I install 10.2, the setup runs ok and the app works ok.
If I install 10.14, the setup shows the error about the "silent option" and the started app says the installation files are damaged.
I run both setups in the same way.
Is there any debug info that I can provide? mantiscorp, 30 Jul 2019, 07:11
Which command line arguments are you passing to the installer?

mantiscorp

Which command line arguments are you passing to the installer? Zenju, 30 Jul 2019, 08:15
I don't pass any arguments to the installer.
But I can give you a hint: I have just installed 10.14 from Windows Explorer.
But the same 10.14 fails if it is started from a console FAR Manager.
It looks like the setup has a different behaviour depending on how it's started
Site Admin

Zenju

Can you check the command line parameters as they are received by the FreeFileSync installer? Maybe the FAR Manager is adding something to it. You can check a process' arguments (in this case "FreeFileSync_10.14_Windows_Setup.exe") via Process Explorer

mantiscorp

Can you check the command line parameters as they are received by the FreeFileSync installer? Zenju, 30 Jul 2019, 08:51
I see several instances of the installer running:
Command Line:
"D:\..\FreeFileSync_10.14_Windows_Setup.exe"
Command Line:
"C:\Users\..\AppData\Local\Temp\is-K7EIK.tmp\FreeFileSync_10.14_Windows_Setup.tmp" /SL5="$60B32,13438735,240128,D:\..\FreeFileSync_10.14_Windows_Setup.exe"
Command Line:
"D:\..\FreeFileSync_10.14_Windows_Setup.exe" /SPAWNWND=$BC07D8 /NOTIFYWND=$60B32
Command Line:
"C:\Users\..\AppData\Local\Temp\is-JAR6B.tmp\FreeFileSync_10.14_Windows_Setup.tmp" /SL5="$55089C,13438735,240128,D:\..\FreeFileSync_10.14_Windows_Setup.exe" /SPAWNWND=$BC07D8 /NOTIFYWND=$60B32
Site Admin

Zenju

Looks all fine. For some reason Inno Setup still seems to believe it is being run in silent mode, which AFAIK only happens for /silent and /verysilent command line arguments.

doti

So I solved my problem. I convert exe file to msi and now working fine

andrews

Year 2021, version 11.9 and I'm still having this problem. Except the installer started threatening me with legal action for "tampering with the installation process" :)
Site Admin

Zenju

Perhaps a Process Monitor Trace could help here.

gosh

Hi, same problem as andrews when updating from 11.29 to 12.0. Is there a fix?