.ffs_tmp errors

Get help for specific problems

rosede

I have two WD NAS's, an older EX4 and a newer, PR4100. I use the older NAS as my primary backup device. I used to use a built in backup utility to keep the two NAS's in sync with each other, but about a month or so ago, WD updated the PR4100 OS and broke the ability to backup up to an older NAS. I'm going to guess that they use rsync on the backend and probably two different incompatible versions. So, I decided to start using FreeFileSync to keep the two NAS's in sync with each other.

For the most part, FreeFileSync works as intended, however, I'm getting and error that I'm not able to figure out, and I am in need of some assistance.

I been getting a lot of ".ffs_tmp" errors
6:05:38 PM Error Cannot copy file
"\\nas01\Public\Shared Pictures\20180810_182249.jpg" to
"\\nas02\backup\photo_bkup\20180810_182249~330d.ffs_tmp".
ERROR_FILE_EXISTS: The file exists. [CopyFileEx]
I'm not sure how the .ffs_tmp files are being created. Is it FreeFileSync that's creating them and not cleaning them up? I delete them, try to sync again, and I get the same error. Right now, these are only occurring with images

I've read some other postings here that talk about SMB. I had both NAS's set to SMB3, but changed them to SMB2, just to see if that made a difference. It did not. I really don't think that SMB should be involved, but I gave it a try anyway.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Daryl

rosede

Yes, I've read this post, but it doesn't really answer the question; how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Daryl

rosede

I accidentally posted this on the wrong thread. Reposting here.

Okay, so I figured out how to resolve this issue.

After a little searching, I figured out how to view, and remove any extended NTFS file attributes from this files. I am not a Windows person, although I do use a Windows 10 as my primary device (simply because I have to many programs that are Windows only, and not a very good Linux alternative), so I had to do this as root on the NAS itself.

I ssh'd into my primary NAS and first figured out what the extended attrabute was that was causing this issue by running "getfattr -Rd <directory>" on one of the directories that was having issues. I then figured out that I could remove that attribute by using the setfattr command. I then wrote a little shell script and ran it in the directories that was having issues.
ls|while read line
do
var1=`getfattr -d $line|awk -F: '{print $2}'`
setfattr -x user.org.netatalk.Metadata $var1
done
This removed the attribute and I was able to sync these images over to the other NAS.

Thanks

Daryl