Saving sync.ffs_db file on MTP device takes 5 minutes

Get help for specific problems

Franzkekko

Hi there,
I'm using file sync donation to sync my photo from android to windows, edit photos in lightroom and then move them back to phone.
Sadly moving one or 10.000 files take up to 5 minutes just to save the sync.ffs_db file and this is annoying as hell.

I'm using phone on mtp transfer file mode.
As you can see from the screenshot, 4 minutes to move 30MB of files (4 images).
Immagine 2022-10-22 223108.png
Immagine 2022-10-22 223108.png (26.85 KiB) Viewed 619 times

Is there any fix to this?

Thanks in advance,
Franz
Site Admin

Zenju

The 30 MB image copying seemed to be going pretty fast. But what was FFS doing up to the 4 minute mark?

Franzkekko

That's exactly what I'd like to know... I have no idea what it does when saving sync.ffs_db file.
In that case it stayed 4 minutes and 30 second on "saving mtp://.../sync.ffs_db" and then took 2 seconds to transfer files :(
Site Admin

Zenju

The "sync.ffs_db" file is saved *after* file copying, not before.
Are you using multiple folder pairs?

Franzkekko

Oh ok... Well, it's a multiple folders sync. I usually sync the main android folders (DCIM, pictures, records, downloads...)
But mainly the changes are into DCIM and pictures folders
Site Admin

Zenju

Some MTP implementations are broken and will hang for a while when file renamings are attempted. For some reason this doesn't get fixed: https://www.google.com/search?q=mtp+rename+hang

(ugly) workaround: disable fail-safe file copy in FFS global options.

Franzkekko

Hey thanks for replying me back.
Your suggestion didn't make any improvement =( what a sad story...

5 minutes of literally nothing
image_75.png
image_75.png (35.85 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Then the process started (at riddiculous speed...and I got the donation edition wishing for speed improvements)
image_76.png
image_76.png (31.85 KiB) Viewed 574 times
To end all the transfer in 10 minutes...
image_77.png
image_77.png (29.82 KiB) Viewed 574 times

Ugly story =(

xCSxXenon

Disable the "detect moved files" options in the sync settings, not fail-safe file copy. The db file is for the move/rename file detection AFAIK
Site Admin

Zenju

Disable the "detect moved files" options in the sync settings, not fail-safe file copy. The db file is for the move/rename file detection AFAIK xCSxXenon, 24 Oct 2022, 17:25
"fail-safe file copy" is also used when creating the sync.ffs_db file. If the move operation is the reason for the hang, then turning it off solves the problem. But it's also possible that the delete operation is the issue. In this case sync.ffs_db file cannot be used at all.

therube

If you use some other method to copy files from you PC to the phone, does that method also have a long delay?

xCSxXenon

Disable the "detect moved files" options in the sync settings, not fail-safe file copy. The db file is for the move/rename file detection AFAIK xCSxXenon, 24 Oct 2022, 17:25
"fail-safe file copy" is also used when creating the sync.ffs_db file. If the move operation is the reason for the hang, then turning it off solves the problem. But it's also possible that the delete operation is the issue. In this case sync.ffs_db file cannot be used at all. Zenju, 24 Oct 2022, 17:37
Ah yes! That makes total sense now that I am reading it. In my use with MTP, I have never had any issue with fail-safe copying but I do have move/rename detection disabled for syncs with my phone