Hiding the password for cloud synchronization

Discuss new features and functions

Ziplok

Hi
I'm using FreeFileSync a lot as a donation user, to synchronize my different computers.

But I have a major problem with sftp connections : the password is recorded in the freefilesync configuration file. It's a major safety issue for me since connecting my computer is done from my mail account... I already don't like to talk about that here.

Isn't it possible to hide the passwords behind a general password (Thunderbird and Firefox style) or to allow an "ask for password before each session" mode (FileZilla style) ? I've not seen the option.

Thanks

Plerry

Can't you define and store your password for your sftp network location in the Credential Manager (assuming Windows)?
Then your password is stored in an encrypted form.

Alternatively:
What happens when you remove the password from the saved configuration file and save it like that?
I would guess the system (either FFS or the OS) will then prompt you for the password.

Ziplok

Hi ! Thanks for your answer, yes I'm on Windows 10.
I don't have any credential manager on my computers, and I'd rather not install a new application for that (I don't really like the idea yet).

And more importantly, if I remove the password, it is not prompted, the synchronization just fails :
- Unable to find the following folders: "blablabla" LIBSSH2_ERROR_AUTHENTICATION_FAILED.
Therefore it knows the password (left blank) is not good, but it still doesn't ask for it. I'm not sure, would a credential manager catch this ?

Plerry

> ... I'm on Windows 10. I don't have any credential manager on my computers, ...

The Credential Manager is an integral part of Windows already for many generations of the OS. So, it must be on your system.
Assuming an English Windows version, simply type "Credential Manager" in your search field (the looking glass right next to your Windows Start-icon) and define a user+password for the root IP or URL of your sftp location.

After doing so, you may need to newly create (and safe) your FFS sync configuration.

Ziplok

Yes it's "Gestionnaire d'identification" in french. I added my local IP, in two ways:
sftp://IP.IP.IP.IP/
and IP.IP.IP.IP/

both with my login (user@mail.fr)
and password

It seems to have no effect !
And for "Password", "Key file" and "Pageant" (?) authentication.

Ziplok

Just to be sure, have you tried your solution ?
Is it just me ?
Does anyone has another one ?

tft

Hi, you're not alone in asking for this change (see this thread - started in 2019).

In lieu of the current application failure, it should prompt you for a password if one isn't provided within the configuration settings/file. Another example to possibly look at is WinSCP and how they handle this issue. Other workarounds, IMHO, seem like overkill for such a fundamental simple issue.
Site Admin

Zenju

Implemented for the next release!
FreeFileSync 12.0
-----------------
Don't save password and show prompt instead for (S)FTP

kwill

Implemented for the next release!
FreeFileSync 12.0
-----------------
Don't save password and show prompt instead for (S)FTP
Zenju, 19 Jan 2023, 20:09
Is this feature request still open? I'm interested in making a donation, but my impediment is the fact that I don't have a password so they can't browse my Gdrive folders.

LeoW

Here is a solution / workaround for you.

In Liu of storing passwords inside FFS: Use open source utility app Rclone to mount your cloud drives.

Rclone can protect itself with a password. This way, prior to running FFS, you run Rclone. It will prompt you for the password prior to mounting anything.

Have FFS use the rclone mounted drive/folder for sync.

Then, when your done, unmount the drive. It won't matter if other people have access to the same computer so long as they don't have the password that you created for rclone.

Run:
rclone config
to get started.

Or:
rclone rcd --rc-web-gui
this will open a web based graphical user interface for configuration and use.

You will need the --vfs-cache-mode full flag for Google Drive and MS Onedrive, and perhaps others. It will let you know.
rclone --vfs-cache-mode full mount cloud-drive: i:

Let me know if you have any rclone questions.

Ziplok

Here is a solution / workaround for you.

In Liu of storing passwords inside FFS: Use open source utility app Rclone to mount your cloud drives. LeoW, 08 Sep 2023, 02:58
Thanks a lot.
That's one more app to use but it seems to be an interesting one, that may solve multiple tasks at once. I'll give it a try !

LeoW

Thanks a lot.
That's one more app to use but it seems to be an interesting one, that may solve multiple tasks at once. I'll give it a try ! LeoW, 08 Sep 2023, 02:58

It's a great tool to keep handy.
It can mount over 40 cloud providers.
Can encrypt the data while doing a copy or sync.

I always keep my personal data encrypted on cloud drives. Rclone can assist you with this, and it will still work with FFS.

FFS can't do client-side encryption by itself, rclone can add that functionality.Ziplok, 08 Sep 2023, 07:54