New user experience of confusion

Discuss new features and functions

Synchronizator

For the purpose of securing my data for years now I have been using selectively a mixture of BAT and NirCmd scripts, BackUp Maker tasks and manually created copies. What I was missing all this time were mirrored in [more or less] real time ready-to-use copies of everything. And having tested negatively DSynchronize I moved to the second recommended to me piece of software. So let me share my thoughts

Although I do see some pros in utilized approach / design, in overall it is just confusing, irritating and can lead to mistakes

There is FreeFileSync and RealTimeSync dichotomy which together have to use FFS_BATCH, FFS_GUI and FFS_REAL files. It is thus confusing to have paths chosen in FFS be exported through Save As option as an FFS_BATCH file, then have to Open this file in RTS, then to have to Save As the very same current paths and files but this time with the FFS_REAL extension- and only then be able to insert a LNK file leading to that FFS_REAL file into the

C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

system folder in order to finally achieve real time synchronization performed automatically [which for me does not work and requires from me additional steps: viewtopic.php?p=39112#p39112]

And if user wants also to export current configuration, such user needs also to secure the

C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME\AppData\Roaming\FreeFileSync\GlobalSettings.xml

file. And when after few months user will be in need of upgrading hers or his real time synchronization setup, that such person [not remembering the above non-intuitive chain of steps] might make a stupid mistake of choosing the file with red icon after going to

RealTimeSync > File > Open

which will result with merely re-loading of old [i.e. not updated] list of monitored paths and with user not realizing lack of change in the red color themed program

[This could be avoided with a simple update of RTS: viewtopic.php?t=10418]

If all a user wants to do is to have copies of chosen folders created in some other location and then have them automatically updated whenever Windows starts up and also to be able to recreate all chosen settings on next system / other machine - then all of the above and inner workings of FFS / RTS are way to much to wrap one's head around

Hence I would suggest taking into consideration removing of as many steps and ambiguities as possible and consider making it easier to set up a working configuration

Specifically what I mean is:

A] Why is not there a built in option for running the programs at startup of system?

B] Why by default the programs do not run with privileges, which are sometimes needed to unblock their capabilities?

C] Why does there needs to be in FFS the Save, Save As... and also Save As Batch Jobs option? How is a new user suppose to know which is for what and remember it?

D] Why use FFS_BATCH and FFS_GUI file format that seem to contain the same structure / syntax?

E] Why use multiple FFS_BATCH files scattered all over instead of keeping them in just one collective location of

C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME\AppData\Roaming\FreeFileSync

along with other configuration related files?

F] Why not begin the help for Automated Synchronization available at https://freefilesync.org/manual.php?topic=realtimesync with a simple summary like:
In order to have your folders automatically monitored from the time of Windows' startup, use FreeFileSync to create FFS_BATCH file, then Open it in RealTimeSync, then Save as... them to a FFS_REAL file and finally insert LNK shortcut leading to it in the StartUp system folder
?

I hope that my thoughts will be viewed as constructive criticism coming from somewhat super user who at some point started looking for a third program, after first having tested DSynchronize and then trying to move away from usage of RealTimeSync