Completed with Warnings?

Discuss new features and functions

phrab

I have 2 computers: Win 10 & WinXP. I keep certain folders sync'd with FreeFileSync. However, if I run a sync on a folder named "Info to Read From the Internet", I get the following message every time, telling me that the recycle bin on WinXP is not available:

11:58:20 AM Warning: The recycle bin is not available for "\\I5SYS\Data\Info to Read from the Internet".
Ignore and delete permanently each time recycle bin is unavailable?
11:58:20 AM Warning: Deleting file "\\I5SYS\Data\Info to Read from the Internet\~$hone 6S & Later.doc" [Recycle bin unavailable]

However, the files themselves do sync correctly. It's just that I keep getting these warnings.

How can I correct this?
Thank you in advance!

xCSxXenon

viewtopic.php?t=10724
Switch deletions to be permanent instead of going to Recycle Bin. You cannot send things to a remote location's Recycle Bin

phrab

Thank you for your quick reply. On my Win10 machine, when I click the sync button, I see the image below.
I want to be able to save the last version on my Win10 machine, in case I make a mistake.

Am I able to do this and delete on my WinXP machine (I only have FreeFileSync actually installed on my Win10 machine)?
Attachments
Sync Versions.jpg
Sync Versions.jpg (85.76 KiB) Viewed 32240 times

xCSxXenon

Versioning should work fine

phrab

When I click on "Permanent", the versioning option disappears. I'm not sure how to delete on WinXP & keep the versions in C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Versions. See attachment.
I'm sorry. Could you tell me what I'm missing?
Attachments
sync versions 2.jpg
sync versions 2.jpg (72.31 KiB) Viewed 32233 times

Plerry

If you select Permanent (instead of Versioning) there will obviously be no more Versioning.
Simply select Versioning and (if not retained) specify the desired Versioning location (in your case apparently C:\Users\Phil\Desktop\Versions on the machine you run FFS on, apparently your Win10 machine).

When using Versioning, any pre-existing files that will be deleted or overwritten by your sync, whether on your WinXP machine or your Win10 machine, will then be "moved"/copied to the specified Versioning location (in your case on your Win10 machine).

phrab

Thank you for your reply. However, that leaves me with the original problem that I mentioned in the first question. I want to keep versioning on my Win10 machine, so that if I make a mistake in updating a file, I still have the previous file in my version folder.

BUT, this means that I keep getting the warnings that the recycle bin on WinXP isn't available. I don't know if there's a solution that allows me to keep the previous version on my Win10 machine & avoids getting the warning messages.

Plerry

> BUT, this means that I keep getting the warnings that the recycle bin on WinXP isn't available.

No that is not true.
If you set the Delete Files method to Versioning, FFS will not (try to) use the RecycleBin.

(Re)read the last paragraph of my pervious reply.

xCSxXenon

I wonder if this is a bug then... If FFS is set to versioning, it shouldn't care about Recycle Bin access, but it sounds like FFS is throwing the error anyway. Is it really versioning and the warning is a false positive? Or is it not versioning the files deleted/overwritten on the remote machine?

phrab

Thank you both for your replies.
Plerry: I have versioning set on my Win10 machine. However, I still get warnings that the recycle bin on WinXP isn't available. I'm not sure what you mean by "If you set the Delete Files method to Versioning, FFS will not (try to) use the RecycleBin." That's what I originally had shown in the image on post 9 Nov 2023, 21:24.

xCSxXenon: I'm not sure if it's a bug. The synchronization works fine. I can edit a file on either machine & when I sync, both machines end up with the same file. If I edit on Win10, I get the new file, a previous version (on Win10), & the file on XP is deleted (doesn't go to the recycle bin) & replaced. If I edit on Win 10, the exact same thing happens.
Site Admin

Zenju

11:58:20 AM Warning: Deleting file "\\I5SYS\Data\Info to Read from the Internet\~$hone 6S & Later.doc" [Recycle bin unavailable]
This line suggests that you have "recycle bin" selected, not "versioning". For "versioning" the info message would be different.

xCSxXenon

This line suggests that you have "recycle bin" selected, not "versioning". For "versioning" the info message would be different. Zenju, 13 Nov 2023, 07:10
That is what I assumed earlier, but he stated that he does get a version after updating a file...
Site Admin

Zenju

That is what I assumed earlier, but he stated that he does get a version after updating a file... xCSxXenon, 13 Nov 2023, 15:12
I need to see this to believe it.

phrab

I get a previous version on my Win10 machine, where FFS is installed. I don't have a version or FFS installed on my WinXP machine. I should also mention that the "Info to Read from the Internet" folder is sync'd automatically.

I just created a "New Text Document.txt" in that folder on my Win10 machine. After 10 seconds, I got a message that it was sync'd successfully on XP. I then deleted the "New Text Document.txt" on Win10. After 10 seconds, I got this warning:
Attachments
warnings2.jpg
warnings2.jpg (65.02 KiB) Viewed 32166 times

xCSxXenon

Can you post a picture of your versioning settings? That warning looks like versioning isn't enabled

phrab

Sure, but it's enabled. It's the 3rd post above (9 Nov 2023, 21:06), where I responded to you.
Site Admin

Zenju

The configuration you're showing on the screenshot is not the one you have set up to run via RealTimeSync.

phrab

The configuration you're showing on the screenshot is not the one you have set up to run via RealTimeSync. Zenju, 13 Nov 2023, 19:17
Thank you! You're absolutely right. Of all my sync jobs, this was the only one NOT set up for versioning...it was set for recycle bin. I've now changed it & consider this solved.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I feel very foolish, but I have learned.

xCSxXenon

The configuration you're showing on the screenshot is not the one you have set up to run via RealTimeSync. Zenju, 13 Nov 2023, 19:17
How did you figure this out... I am staring at the pictures and cannot find any info that would led to that conclusion lol

therube

Staring at the pictures certainly did help.
But what you did not understand, or pick up from that (& nor did I), is what Zenju said (above):
This line suggests that you have "recycle bin" selected, not "versioning". For "versioning" the info message would be different.
viewtopic.php?t=10824#p41366

Words can be more powerful then pictures - especially when used in conjunction with pictures ;-).

So (once again) the answer was provided, though to "us", we didn't understand the answer.
Luckily, phrab did correctly pick up on it.

xCSxXenon

I'm wondering where RTS was referenced...

phrab

I knew it was RTS because 1) I had it sent up that way, & 2) the sync icon was black (non RTS are green). So I just clicked on the icon in FFS, clicked on the filter icon at the top of the screen, & clicked on the synchronization tab. I saw that is was set for "Delete and Recycle bin". I changed that to "versioning" & the problem disappeared.
Site Admin

Zenju

I'm wondering where RTS was referenced... xCSxXenon, 13 Nov 2023, 21:54
A real puzzle, indeed! :) These two pieces of information gave it away:
folder is sync'd automatically. [...] After 10 seconds phrab, 13 Nov 2023, 17:16
Confusingly, the existence of the results screen after each sync doesn't make any sense when using RTS, but it was still the only possible explanation.