new feature request: select ten folders at the same time

Discuss new features and functions

denissyk2004

Hi

I need batch add pathes function.

For example, if there are 10 folders on my two hard drives, I can select all ten folders at the same time and drag them into the source path window and it will create 10 source pathes for me. Now it only create 1 path.

denissyk2004

I know it takes time to add 10 pathes one by one. I mean darg and add 10 pathes at the same time.

Plerry

Ah, now I get it!
But how do you imagine that?
You drag/drop 10 folders into your left-side base-location, and FFS magically invents the 10 right-side base locations for you?

denissyk2004

Ah, now I get it!
But how do you imagine that?
You drag/drop 10 folders into your left-side base-location, and FFS magically invents the 10 right-side base locations for you? Plerry, 08 Dec 2023, 14:12
No need that. For example I am going to sync 10 or 20 folders at the same time. In the old way I have to drag the first folder to the left, press + icon and drag the second folder.....and press + again. It's really slow. The right way is if I drag more than 1 folder to the left path, FFS should automatic add multiple paths for individual folder.

Plerry

That is the part I (already) understood the second time.
But, assuming that feature would be added, then after creating your 10 left base-locations by dragging/dropping or copy/pasting your 10 folders (in one go) you would still need to define your 10 right-side base-locations one-by-one. That is, because if you would now simply drag/drop or copy/paste 10 locations in any of your right-side base location fields, FFS would create an additional 9 left-right folder pairs, just like what would happen at the left-side ...
After all, it seems absurd to have different behavior between the left- and right-side ...

denissyk2004

That is the part I (already) understood the second time.
But, assuming that feature would be added, then after creating your 10 left base-locations by dragging/dropping or copy/pasting your 10 folders (in one go) you would still need to define your 10 right-side base-locations one-by-one. That is, because if you would now simply drag/drop or copy/paste 10 locations in any of your right-side base location fields, FFS would create an additional 9 left-right folder pairs, just like what would happen at the left-side ...
After all, it seems absurd to have different behavior between the left- and right-side ... Plerry, 08 Dec 2023, 15:01
I see what you mean, here is the concept video I made https://youtu.be/lkRFxXeiFfw
Because I am going to sync my photo folders to my backup drive. Both drive already have these 10 folders and they have the same name. What I want is I drag folders from my local drive to the left side, then drag the folders with same name and order from my backup drive to the right side. Now, both left and right side
folder names are match. Ready to sync.

xCSxXenon

Interesting idea! I like it. One thing to consider is how to order the folders... Do you add them alphabetically or figure out a way to detect the original sort type and match that once imported?

denissyk2004

Yes, alphabetically. Or at least both folder sort by the same way. It's even better if FFS can analysis the folder name and match them.

Plerry

Your video is exactly as I understood your feature request the second time.
For your very specific case this may make sense. However, even then my consideration remains that the left- and right-side would need to behave differently for the same dragging action.
When dragging multiple folders into the left-side, new folder pairs would need to be added, while when dragging multiple folders into the right-side, the right-side location of existing folder pairs would need to be filled-in.
However, FFS needs to robustly cover all kind of much more generic use cases.

Note that for the use-case you show in your video, there is a much simpler, already existing solution.
Simply define a single left-side base-location pair as
E:\Users\Tony\Desktop\Local drive
in whatever suitable way (typing, drag/drop, copy/paste),
and your right-side base-location as
E:\Users\Tony\Desktop\Backup drive
and in your Include Filter replace the default * (=everything) by a, b, c, d, e and f, each on a new line, or with a single line a|b|c|d|e|f

denissyk2004

Oh I see. Thank you! What about another new feature. If I drag a folder drop on the + icon, will automatic add another new path. If I drop on the address bar, then replace the exist path. So that can save time to click + icon everytime.

Plerry

> If I drag a folder drop on the + icon, will automatic add another new path. If I drop on the address bar, then replace the exist path.

Could make sense. The location dropped onto the "+"-icon would then obviously become the left-side location of the new pair.
On the other hand, it saves just one click per new folder pair.

Further to my last reply:
If the a through f folders are the only folders existing in E:\Users\Tony\Desktop\Local drive (as shown in your video), you can use just the single left-right folder pair I mentioned, without the need to modify the Include Filter. FFS will then create the right-side folders a through f, if they do not yet exist, and sync all files in their existing folder structure, relative to your left-and right-side base location.

denissyk2004

Thank you!