1 source 2 targets, only 1 target needs the latest source

Get help for specific problems

loganh

Hey everyone trying to use FreeFileSync for a project I have. I have 3 folders (A, B, C) and A needs to be Synced with B & C but not mirrored for redundancy but instead for every A file I want it to either already exist in B or be created in C. I know this is complex and might not even be possible from FreeFileSync but curious if anyone else has run into this.

What I've found is that I can get it to mirror all of A files to B and C at the same time but I want B and C to collectively share some files that they already have that is synced with A. Questions let me know.

Plerry

FreeFileSync (FFS) can not do this automatically.
But you can do it manually.
Run a Compare of A with B for a A=>B Mirror sync.
In the Compare result window select all files that FFS intends to copy A=>B.
Then right-click and choose Copy To and then choose the C-location.

loganh

Hey Plerry, thanks for the fast reply. I tried your suggestion and I believe it did work the problem with Copy To is I can't be 100% certain I do have at least every file from A to at least B or C just have to assume it was correctly done. It also doesn't allow me to ignore if the file is newer on C when copying the A -> C so I could be overwriting newer files that already existed (and if I don't have it overwritten it could be missed).

Do you have any suggested software that could be used for this function? I'm wondering if I even compiled the list of file paths + date modified in an SQL Table and then Compared them to another SQL Table that has B & C's total records if that would give me a final list I could then run through in a script.

Plerry

I don't know the reason for your approach.
If e.g. the content of A is too big to fit just on B or just on C, you can also divide the content of A between B and C in a more structured way.
Depending on what is on A and how it is on A, you may consider e.g.
• If A is divided (mostly) in subfolders, sync A:/subfolder1 through A:/subfolder49 to B, and A:/subfolder50 through A:/subfolder100 to C.
• If A comprises different file-types, sync all PDF-files on A with B and all MP3 files on A with C
Both can be done automatically in FFS by using multiple left-right folder pairs and/or using suitable In- and Exclude Filters.
This will also allow you to properly handle if what is on B or C is newer than what is on A.