ISSUE: Doesn't really know what to do with undated files

Discuss new features and functions

ira

I have noticed that if a file is undated, FreeFileSync isn't entirely sure what to do with it. In the case of a mirror, which is what I use, it will just declare it new each time and mirror it.

This isn't necessarily a problem, but it isn't acting true to purpose by copying over identical files.

Thanks!
Site Admin

Zenju

What is the modification time of the source file as shown in FreeFileSync GUI?

xCSxXenon

Yeah, I don't think an 'undated' file is possible, but it may be a file that has a timestamp outside of a file system's supported range.

ira

I had repaired the files (redated them) to stop the forever-sync issue, so I no longer have them to test. I was not aware that the undated nature would come under fire. The date column was blank in both FreeFileSync and Windows. In my experience, that also translates to a default date back in 1969.

Should I come across undated files again, I will reopen the issue.

If it helps, 7zip shows the date of those files as 2038-01-18

Thanks

therube

The date column was blank in both FreeFileSync and Windows.
On my end (Win7), FFS does see the "correct date" [of the file, "D"] (it is dated 12/31/1969), but Windows Explorer shows it as "blank".

(Looks like 2038 is OK ;-).)

ira

Thank you ... hopefully that is enough information to figure out the issue.

By the way ... I can report that the same exact behavior occurs when a file is hidden and starts with a "." (which is what happens when a Mac works on a file). Every file I had which was hidden and started with a "." (e.g., "._Freefilesync bug report.pdf") suffered the same fate ... perpetually showing as needing to synchronize.