Enhancement: Comparison Settings

Discuss new features and functions

raulcigil

I think that could be an enhancement let compare only for file size or only for file time, or both.

Actually only lets by file time and size.

Thanks. Best regards.

syllaslp

Hi!

I think almost the same way.

If I compare files by size AND time, newer files will be listed among files with the same date, but with different sizes. It would be better to choose each criterion independently.

Going a little further, sometimes we need to keep newer files and folders automatically, if there is a conflict, that is, if both sides were modified. I suggest an option to choose what to do automatically if a conflict occurs.

I don't know if content comparison compares each byte, but if so, I suggest a hibrid way of doing so, to faster it. The first step compares checksum; if they differ, comparison finished. If checksums are equal, so each byte should be checked.

Regards!

Plerry

Hi!

I think almost the same way.

If I compare files by size AND time, newer files will be listed among files with the same date, but with different sizes. It would be better to choose each criterion independently.

Going a little further, sometimes we need to keep newer files and folders automatically, if there is a conflict, that is, if both sides were modified. I suggest an option to choose what to do automatically if a conflict occurs.

I don't know if content comparison compares each byte, but if so, I suggest a hibrid way of doing so, to faster it. The first step compares checksum; if they differ, comparison finished. If checksums are equal, so each byte should be checked.

Regards!syllaslp
> I don't know if content comparison compares each byte, but if so, I suggest a hibrid way of doing so, to faster it. The first step compares checksum; if they differ, comparison finished. If checksums are equal, so each byte should be checked.

In order for FFS to determine the checksum, the full file needs be read.
(The checksum is rightfully not stored anywhere).
So, comparing each byte might even be faster than calculating the checksums.

Andreas

I installed FFS as a "Windows Briefcase" replacement. The "master" folder is on a NAS, served by Samba (Linux). That one is sync'ed with copies on Windows XP, 7 and 10 running on laptops and VirtualBox clients.

If I chose content comparison FFS is lost when it detects a change, asking me to decide which one is newer. If I repeat the compare using date comparison FFS set the arrows as expected. IMHO the comparison selection should be changed from "date OR size OR content" to "AND". I would select all 3, date AND size AND content so that FFS detects that a file was changed but also knows which one is newer and forces me to decide what to do if the content or size has changed but the date-time stamps haven't..!

Not knowing what method is used to compare the content and because most files don't fill the last sector, one file could be larger even though the content and date comparison are the same.

Jochen

I agree that File time and File size should be independent comparison criteria - with options to select either or both.
Thank you for FFS which is (almost) indispensible for my daily work.
Jochen