Supporting more protocols/services than FTP and SFTP: What about using Rclone as backend?

Discuss new features and functions

timofonic

What about using Rclone and participate in the integration? This way, your software will support a lot more sync methods and services and maybe even drop code and make it more a GUI.

Rclone is a command line program to sync files and directories to and from

Google Drive
Amazon S3
Openstack Swift / Rackspace cloud files / Memset Memstore
ropbox
Google Cloud Storage
Amazon Drive
Microsoft OneDrive
Hubic
Backblaze B2
Yandex Disk
SFTP
FTP
HTTP (WebDav...)
The local filesystem

Features

MD5/SHA1 hashes checked at all times for file integrity
Timestamps preserved on files
Partial syncs supported on a whole file basis
Copy mode to just copy new/changed files
Sync (one way) mode to make a directory identical
Check mode to check for file hash equality
Can sync to and from network, eg two different cloud accounts
Optional encryption (Crypt)
Optional FUSE mount (rclone mount)
WIP WinFSP support.

Kind regards.

MrElectrifyer

What about using Rclone and participate in the integration? This way, your software will support a lot more sync methods and services and maybe even drop code and make it more a GUI.

Rclone is a command line program to sync files and directories to and from

Google Drive
Amazon S3
Openstack Swift / Rackspace cloud files / Memset Memstore
Dropbox
Google Cloud Storage
Amazon Drive
Microsoft OneDrive
Hubic
Backblaze B2
Yandex Disk
SFTP
FTP
HTTP (WebDav...)
The local filesystem

Features

MD5/SHA1 hashes checked at all times for file integrity
Timestamps preserved on files
Partial syncs supported on a whole file basis
Copy mode to just copy new/changed files
Sync (one way) mode to make a directory identical
Check mode to check for file hash equality
Can sync to and from network, eg two different cloud accounts
Optional encryption (Crypt)
Optional FUSE mount (rclone mount)
WIP WinFSP support.

Kind regards. timofonic, 14 Jul 2017, 12:26
Yes, this would be a downright awesome addition to FreeFileSync. What I especially would love this for is to be able to sync specific directories on my Surface Pro to specific directories on my Dropbox account, instead of having Dropbox sync only to a Dropbox folder on my PC.

FolderSync on Android is basically what I'm looking for a Windows alternative to (does everything FreeFileSync does and more, including the above on my Note 8), and so far, FreeFileSync is the closest I've found...

Stadly

AWS S3 syncing would be truly useful!

TowerBR

+1 for this. S3 support (or Rclone integration) would make FreeFileSync - more - perfect!

phablutzel

I believe many would pay for Rclone integration or the ability to use Google Drive, Dropbox - even if each option was individual (example $5 ea or $50 the lot as a bundle) as FFS is great and now as there appears to be no response to these queries, I ended up using 2BrightSparks SyncBackPro which works ($50 uses Rclone and all cloud services). However, FFS is incredibly good, FREE and does the job - perhaps you need FileSync+ for the paid version with Rclone integration and those options as FFS is brilliant. Please add this feature as many loyal users and home users will stick with it and keep it the BEST FileSync available.

boxdude

Hi all,

I've been a user of FFS donation edition for several years now. I sync folders in my local hdd to 2 external hdd without any problems. I think I want to upgrade my setup and sync to a cloud storage like backblaze b2 and wasabi; but I'm not sure that it is supported.

Wasabi offers a client that creates a local mount point in my system and technically I could use that as one of the source/destination but I'm concern on how files are compared if FFS does not use rclone? I think comparison of 1TB of data will mean I have to access and download files each time I sync? I may be wrong on this.

soo has there been any movement on if FFS will support rclone?

blacksun

Hello,

as I see, there are no changes since 2020 regarding rclone, right?

There are many cloudspaces with do not offer FTP/SFTP (by default, or at all).
What is the best way to mount a cloudspace with rclone to use with FFS? In FAQ, you can read that it would be no good idea to use a Windows-Mapping for FFS