Command line - able to do versioning

Discuss new features and functions

arlesterc

Is it possible to create a command line script that will do the versioning backup? If so what would it be. Thanks in advance for following up on this.

Plerry

Obviously you can try and duplicate relevant FFS functionality in a command line script.
But I suppose that is not what you mean. (If you do: lot's of success! ... )

You can use a command line script to launch FFS and run a pre-defined FFS-sync stored as *.ffs_gui or *.ffs_batch file.
Such a pre-defined sync can include versioning.

If you need more flexibility than "fixed" pre-defined FFS syncs, try using macros,
e.g. by using pre-defined FFS variables, pre-defined system variables
and/or by using environment variable macro's in the pre-defines FFS sync
(and define any applicable environment variables in your command line script).

Ultimately, you might use a command-line script to first synthesize a fully customized *.ffs_gui or *.ffs-batch file, and then have your script invoke FFS to run the sync as defined in that synthesized *.ffs_gui or *.ffs-batch file. Obviously, also such synthesized file might include versioning definitions.

arlesterc

Thanks for the quick response. No, I am not trying to duplicate FFS functionality. I am not familiar with the program that is why I asked the question. What I am wondering is if I can duplicate using FFS command line language what I can do with the GUI. Am I able to, for instance, create a GUI script wth versioning options and then somehow convert that to FFS command line so I just run the command line script and not the fullblown GUI? If that is available how does it work - does it actually run the GUI in the background so to speak or is it really all command line driven? I am thinking of robocopy and xxcopy scripting. I would like to emulate the batch file/scripting that they work with. If somehow the GUI options I choose can be condensed to a robocopy like script that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for any further attention to this.

Plerry

If you define (and verify) a sync in the GUI, you can save that sync as either a *.ffs_gui-file or a *.ffs_batch-file.
* When invoking FFS from a command prompt (or *.cmd-file) to run a *.ffs_gui-file sync, it will open and run in the GUI.
* When invoking FFS from the command prompt (or *.cmd-file) to run a *.ffs_batch-file sync, it will not open the GUI, but run in the background. Still, if sync errors occur, FFS will show a popup window, unless you have selected to "ignore errors" (in the Sync Settings (F8) window).