FTP Sync error with SD EXT Card on mobile device

Discuss new features and functions

PlansXavier

I want to use FreeFileSync 10.8 to sync the music folder "My drive:\My music" of my local computer (source) to the music folder of my mobile device Samsung GS7E with FTP server (destination) "ftp: //Myname@192.168.1.XX: My port/Music|pass64=My password encoded".

Note that the music folder on my local computer has 25 Gb (Will not they be too many?) and my FTP mobile device internal memory sync works perfectly. The folders' comparison is done correctly, from this moment the "Remaining time" is increased quickly from 3000 days and so on to 7XXX days when after sync starts, the following Error popup message appears:

Note that "My song" file has extension ".mp3" it has not ".6964.ffs_tmp" as appears in the error message. I have to "Cancel" the operation, since it is impossible any attempt to end the sync from the popup.

I would like to know if this FTP synchronization with the EXTERNAL SD card can be done with "FreeFileSync" as well as how to do it.
Last edited by PlansXavier on 24 Jan 2019, 16:25, edited 6 times in total.

Diver

That error looks like a timeout error meaning it took too long to make a connection. Maybe increase the "access timeout" in your ftp settings. Alternatively it could be timing out because of insufficient permissions on the sd card which could be blocking ftp write access.

This is the page I referenced trying to figure out the error message.
viewtopic.php?t=5312

PlansXavier

I will try to review it and I'll tell you.
Thank you

PlansXavier

I have reviewed the SD Memory permissions and increased the "access timeout" in my ftp configuration to 60 seconds (it was in 15 seconds) and it seems that it is synchronizing the 25 GB between 1 and 4 days, it is changing. In 24 minutes, 0.42% was synchronized. The speed varies between 0 and 300 kB / sec, although most of the time is in 0 bytes / sec. How about?

PlansXavier

After doing several sync FTP tests from my computer (source) to the SD Card (destination) with several mobile devices (Samsung Tab S2 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and independently of the adjusted response timeout (60 sec, 30 sec and 15 sec),

I've observed that the success of sync seems only to depend on the size and / or number of files. According to this, as these quantities increase, Sync slows down with very low speed ratios but without stopping, I believe it may end up.

I would ask the moderators if they could comment on whether there is any possibility of making any improvement other than reducing the memory capacity of the music.

PD: In my opinion, the object of this sync is that computer usually uses music downloads to run the audio processing and tag management programs, etc. among others, and music -which usually occupies a large amount of memory- is usually in the high capacity SD card of the mobile to be obviously listened to.
Attachments
Sync 25 Gb SD Memory to PC.jpg
Sync 25 Gb SD Memory to PC.jpg (69.21 KiB) Viewed 6976 times
Last edited by PlansXavier on 25 Jan 2019, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Diver

You are transferring many small files, so it will be slower due to seek times. But that is unusually slow for music files. Try opening more ftp connections and channels. If that doesn't help then this is beyond me.

PlansXavier

Hello Diver,
Thanks for your diligent help. I will try to do what you recommend, although I have no idea how to open more FTP connections, etc. (Do you have any links to this topic?), But if this is "insual" as you say, is there any way to do it or the FFS does not contemplate it? , is it a problem of mine or is it the FFS?

Diver

Opening more connections is a feature of the paid version, however really shouldn't matter if opening more channels did not help. Also the SD card may be the issue. Try using a card reader, connecting it to your computer and then syncing the music folder that way. If you have the same issue, then you know that your SD card speed is the issue. However if it transfers quickly, then it is something to do with the FTP settings and so needs an admin to help diagnose it.

PlansXavier

I understand and I will try to do it. Thank you very much for your invaluable help, but what do you mean "admin"?

Diver

I meant admin as in someone who knows a lot/the developer

PlansXavier

I used the same Samsung GS7 SD card to synchronize the music folder in the following two tests:
First, with the SD card installed in my Samsung GS7, I synchronized the music folder through FTP, producing a slow transfer at a speed of 2.91 KB/s, making synchronization impossible. Then I connected the SD locally to my computer, transferring quickly to a speed of 8.3 MB/s with a good synchronization. Apparently the speeds differ greatly from one case to another.

If possible, I would appreciate your help to continue solving this problem.

PD: The two synchronization options are shown in the figures of the attached user interfaces.
Attachments
FFS PC to SD_128 Gb into SD7Edge (FTP).jpg
FFS PC to SD_128 Gb into SD7Edge (FTP).jpg (73.34 KiB) Viewed 6890 times
FFS PC to SD_128 Gb into PC.jpg
FFS PC to SD_128 Gb into PC.jpg (75.8 KiB) Viewed 6890 times

Diver

To determine if it is an issue with FFS, try transferring the files to the phone using an ftp client(FileZilla, MobaXTerm etc). If you have the same speed issues, then it is something about the way ftp is configured on your phone. If not, then try transferring the files FFS crashed on. If it is specific files or filetypes causing the issue, then try blocking those files using the FFS filter. Hopefully that works.

As a side note, how did you setup the ftp server for your phone? Was it an app? Native function? Whatever it is, I think it could also be to blame. Maybe check the permissions it has and do a bit of research on if other people have noticed issues with it using sd storage.

PlansXavier

I will try transferring the files to the phone using an ftp client, thank you.

Responding to you, I configured the ftp server with the "Servidor ftp pro" app, not natively, I think it's not their fault, since I've used it with ftp syncs in other Android synchronizers (e.g.: Folder Sync Pro) without problems In addition, I have verified the permisions and has everything necessary.

Anyway, could you tell me if sync can be done in similar conditions (ftp, PC-SD mobile, 3428 mp3 files with a storage of 25 GB in the SD) with the FFS?

PlansXavier

As you told me, to determine if it's a problem with FFS, I tried to sync the files to the phone - and also on the tablet - using the FTP client FileZilla on PC and the FTP server "Servidor FTP Pro" on the phone and tablet, set it up as when using the FFS (with a timeout of 60 sec on FTP client).

Although the sync is not as fast as with the internal memory, I have performed the sync in a fluid way and I have not had the same speed problems as with the FFS. No file crashed, so there were no specific files or file types that caused problems except for some retries.

So could it be that the problem is about the way ftp is configured in the FFS?

As always, thank you very much for your interest.
Attachments
FilezillaSyncPC_to_External SD Mobile and Tablet (2 of 2).jpg
FilezillaSyncPC_to_External SD Mobile and Tablet (2 of 2).jpg (448.86 KiB) Viewed 6750 times
FilezillaSyncPC_to_External SD Mobile and Tablet (1 of 2).jpg
FilezillaSyncPC_to_External SD Mobile and Tablet (1 of 2).jpg (463.13 KiB) Viewed 6750 times
Site Admin

Zenju

This seems to be related, at least considering the error message in the first post:
viewtopic.php?t=6146

PlansXavier

I just tried the FFS Beta 10.10 version and it does not solve my problem.