Verify Files when Synchronizing

Get help for specific problems

Lady Fitzgerald

I recently switched from Win 7 to Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2. When still using Win 7, I had FFS set to verify that files synchronized correctly but I can't figure out how to do it in Linux (other than that, FFS is working fine for me in Linux). Can anyone give me complete, simple, step by step instructions on how to turn on Verifying (keep in mind I'm a flautlent geriatric with ADHD or just pretend I'm two years old).

Plerry

Check the VerifyCopiedFiles setting in the Expert Settings.

Lady Fitzgerald

Ok, would you care to tell me what I'm supposed to do with that mess? Again, I need complete, simple, step by step instructions on how to turn on Verifying because of my learning disabilities. Keep in mind I'm a newbie to Linux.

Edit: I finally figured out how to get to the GlobalSettings.XML file (more like, I stumbled and fell with a loud crash on it). The "directions" given in the manual for Linux...

Linux: ~/.config/FreeFileSync

...were just wrong, outdated, or need to be more explicit. I pasted ~/.config/FreeFileSync into the terminal and got bupkis. I tried putting sudo in front of it. Again, bupkis.

I then opened up Catfish and searched for GlobalSettings.XML in the entire file system. Still bupkis. After poking around in Catfish's settings, it struck me (ouch!) that GlobalSettings.XML might be a hidden file so I set Catfish to also search for hidden files. Bingo! Changing the setting in GlobalSettings.XML was easy after that. I just tested it using a couple of USB sticks and it now works just like it's supposed to.

Plerry

I could have written:
While FreeFileSync is not running, locate the applicable GlobalSettings.XML file, open it with a text-editor, verify that directly behind VerifyCopiedFiles it presently reads Enabled="false", change "false" into "true" and then save the file.
But it seems that was the least of your challenges.
Glad you were able to work it out.