3-Way backup solution possible?

Discuss new features and functions

UberJaeger

Hello,

i want to build a new backup solution and therefore i have a very specific problem.
I try to describe it as simple as possible:

I have my main storage (A), my main backup (B) and a small external device that i only want to use for the incremental delta backup (C).

A and C is connected to my local PC, but B is somewhere else and not reachable for my PC.

Now i would do an initial backup from A to B. After that, B is not anymore connected to A or C, so i want a solution that only register the changes in A and does a differential/incremental Backup from A to C (C is initially empty).
And at irregular times i would connect C to B and either manually or with the help of software, i would be able to have an updated Backup at B that contains the same files as A. Is that possible with FreeFileSync?

Keep in mind that C is much smaller than A, it contains ONLY the changes from A after the initial Backup (or if i can somehow say that a specific file or partition is now the "main storage"), so it has to be something with a database that keeps track of changes or something similar.

Thank you and i am also open minded for other solutions.
Last edited by UberJaeger on 13 Feb 2020, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

Plerry

The first step (A-to-C) does not read as an approach (presently) directly supported by FFS.
You may be able to achieve at least part of what you seek, e.g. via the time span option, but is does not seem straight forward.
It can even be an interesting feature that may even be not too impossible to implement.
If A would contain an *.ffs_db file, FFS may detect the changes in A, and offer to copy those changes to C, effectively saving the differences in A (since the previous same sync) to C.

Provided the first step would be possible, the second step (C-to-B) should presently already (almost) be possible with FFS, by using an Update sync with the Detect Moved Files option enabled.

UberJaeger

I also thought about the time span option, but i think it is not as accurate as i want, because you also never know exactly if some files maybe have an older date in their meta data and will eventually be ignored.
Maybe there is a possibility with macros or scripts? But i am not familiar with the functionality of this in FFS.