Feature Suggestion

Discuss new features and functions

hsehestedt

I have a FreeFileSync batch icon my desktop (a .ffs_batch created by FreeFileSync). When I trigger a sync by double-clicking this icon there is no visual indicating that the sync was actually launched. I need to go down to the taskbar and then expand the system tray to see if the program is actually running just to be sure my double-click really took.

It would be nice to be able to have an option in FFS to just briefly flash a splash screen or some sort of quick visual indication that it actually launched.

If there is already some way to this, please advise!

xCSxXenon

That defeats the purpose. You can move the icon from the expanded system tray to the taskbar so you can see it without interaction

hsehestedt

xCSxXenon, that's actually not true. You cannot move it from the system tray to the taskbar. It only shows up in the system tray while active and then disappears altogether. I also fail to see how giving the user an option to display a quick visual glimpse (again, as an option that can be turned on or off) would "defeat the purpose". The purpose is to run a sync job. Tell me how that impacts that in any way whatsoever.

xCSxXenon

I misspoke, you can move it to the "taskbar" section of the system tray, instead of clicking ^ to see it. That way, it is next to the clock, you can see it start out as the green arrows, then it goes to a yellow square that gets smaller as the sync progresses. The purpose of a batch job is for non-interactive and silent processing. On the flip side, have you encountered a time where it didn't launch?

hsehestedt

Thanks for the clarification.

I have one rather old laptop that has a finicky touchpad. Sometimes when I double-click on something, nothing happens because it doesn't always pick up the double-click. For many programs it is evident pretty quickly that the double-click was not seen so I simply need to do it again. When there is no visual feedback I need to go and check whether the action was triggered or not.

I can understand batch files often being used for non-interactive purposes, but in this particular case, FFS creates an icon. Clearly an icon is an interactive object :-).

I was merely trying to point out that this would be a useful feature to me. Since there is apparently no other demand for this, please feel free to ignore the suggestion.

However, I thank you for the responses and for your time.

Plerry

Did you try unchecking the Run Minimized box when saving the batch-file?