Donation Edition for Linux

Get help for specific problems

kk1

FFS is a great software and that is the reason for me to obtain the Donation Edition. Another reason is I thought I can increase the threads under parallel file operations.

The problem I have now is I do not know how to properly use this DE version on my linux MINT. The downloaded is just a folder (not a deb file or anything that I know can install), when I execute the FFS program in the folder (Is this the correct way ?), there is nothing under the Performance improvements pane that I can change the no. of threads for Parallel file operations: (it is greyed). Or I have missed something ?

bgstack15

I think the parallel file operations selector field only is activated per-filesystem. That is, for each mount point. So if you are syncing to a directory underneath /home somewhere, and to a directory underneath /mnt/flashdrive, you will see two selector fields, one per each of those named example filesystems.

Regarding the packaging format, the Donation Edition is going to be in a tarball just like the GPL release available from the front page of this site. Building a dpkg would be possible, but a whole different set of build tasks from the current setup that Zenju has.

I could help build an official .deb of FreeFileSync if Zenju is interested.

kk1

@bgstack15, Thank you for your reply. I think you are right. When I have only 1 mount point, there is no different when I set the parallel file operations to whatever number, the speed is still the same. Wish that FFS can improve this in the next release.

I got this issue because it seems weird that I start the program in the downloaded folder instead of the normal bin directory, and I still do not know if starting this way (from the downloaded folder) is the correct way.Hope Zenju will accept your very kind offer to help.