Suggestion: manually rename one side

Discuss new features and functions

SinusPi

Often when syncing folders on which other users may have worked I find that they've made "cleanups" by moving or renaming folders. FreeFileSync doesn't recognize this. Perhaps it could, by looking for a folder with a similar content, but that could be complicated and could go beyond the scope of the program.

What could work, though, is a right-click option to "rename/move file/folder". Afterwards a quick rescan of the folder would be performed, not necessarily a full rescan of the whole current job.

Example case:
Comparison results say C:\PHOTOS\2020-04-31 should be backed up, as it doesn't exist on the backup drive. [Backup]\PHOTOS\2020-04-31-roadtrip exists instead, but isn't recognized, obviously.
I'd right-click 2020-04-31 on my left comparison pane, pick "Rename", append "-roadtrip" manually, and the list would quickly adapt to show my folder now recognized. Bonus points if folder names from the right pane were suggested - after all why else would I rename folders, if not to match (or NOT match!) them to the other side?

Sonik_C

I'd also like to see a right click "rename" option, the same as the "delete" option. Sometimes renaming the folder from within FFS is just quicker than re-syncing a whole bunch of files. I know the "detect moved files" option is there, but it would still be quicker to just manually rename the folder from within the software.
Site Admin

Zenju

Manual folder rename will be available in the next FreeFileSync version:
viewtopic.php?t=6618#p40070