Syncing DSLR cameras using MTPDrive software

Get help for specific problems

NALTEN

Hello,

I am having issues trying to sync four DSLR cameras to an external SSD. The four nikon D810 cameras are connected to a Windows 10 machine, each with their own USB connection. I am using a program called MTP Drive (https://www.mtpdrive.com/) to assign each camera a drive letter (e.g. X:\, W:\, Y:\ and Z:\), and then using FFS as one would expect to sync between each drive and a backup folder using the "update" sync method.

Now normally this method works fine, but it seems when I have quite a few photos in the cameras, FFS seems to lock up and fail. It seems to work fine when there are only a small amount of photos (e.g. up to 2000 or so). Sometimes FFS also only detects the first folder inside the DSLR folder, when there are often two or three.

Sometimes I can get it to work by editing the batch files and simply re-selecting the source drive, e.g. it says "X:\" and I browse and re-select X:\, which then displays as "X:\".

I can browse the files and folders easily using windows explorer to open X:\ etc. so I'm just not sure where FFS is getting into issues.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Site Admin

Zenju

FreeFileSync supports MTP drives directly, so there is no need for extra software.

NALTEN

Yes, but multiple devices appear with the same name, so it's difficult to save to the correct location. Also directly with MTP using FFS is quite slow.

NALTEN

Would there be any way to choose the source as an MTP device based on the device serial number?

Plerry

Don't know if that works in this case, but did you try using volume names instead of (variable) drive letters.

NALTEN

I think I found the issue. I need to wait until MTPDrive has retrieved the list of all photos in the device before I use FFSync to copy them.