ERROR_ALREADY_ASSIGNED:Local Device Name Already in Use [Wnetaddconnection2] error

Get help for specific problems

chriskeeganhw

Hi

So my setup is FFS running on a windows 10 laptop. Latest version of app and all windows 10 updates applied

The device I backup to is a NAS

My backups work nearly 100% of the time.

However, I have noticed that if the NAS is rebooted, the next time I try to run FFS I get the above error. The laptop has reconnected to the NAS drive when the nas is back up and running, it is just FFS that doesnt seem to reconnect

I was hoping that the latest feature of not reporting errors before re-trying might solve it but it doesnt.

the only ways around the error that I have found are to reboot the laptop or delete the FFS job and recreate it, both of which seem a little excessive

Is there another way around this that I havent figured out ye?
Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

Can you post the full error message? And also a Process Monitor log?

chriskeeganhw

Hi Zenju

Have put the requested files on a file sharer and sent you link to it on your email address

Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

Have put the requested files on a file sharer and sent you link to it on your email address chriskeeganhw, 08 Jan 2021, 18:20
Still waiting on you to grant access.
Site Admin

Zenju

xCSxXenon

I'm probably no help here with Zenju, but is it using UNC, IP, or mapped?
Site Admin

Zenju

So does the version above solve the problem?

chriskeeganhw

So does the version above solve the problem? Zenju, 20 Jan 2021, 11:25
Hi.
Sorry. It doesn't.

I have noticed something tho which is a bit odd.

My NAS drive is absolutely connected. I can browse it, load files etc.

When I go into My Computer and look at the available drives, my NAS has a red cross underneath which I guess means windows doesn't think it is connected when in fact it is. Would that be part of the problem? (I say again, the drive is absolutely available and working)
Regards

xCSxXenon

That is probably related. How are you navigating to the NAS if not through the mapped connection though?

chriskeeganhw

Hi

It is a mapped drive, works perfectly. When I say it is disconnected I mean the little icon underneath the mapped drive is a red cross instead of an inverted T. So visually in My Computer it looks like it is not connected. But it is. And freesfileync works perfectly with the icon in this state. Until the NAS powers down then freefile sync wont reconnect though the mapped drive (still with a red cross underneath it) and everything else reconnects to the nas

And it seems to boot up like this.
Site Admin

Zenju

What happens when you click on the icon with the red cross in Explorer? This is probably just visual glitch of Windows Explorer not showing the current state. Once you click, Explorer should automatically reconnect.

Maybe FreeFileSync should ignore the ERROR_ALREADY_ASSIGNED error:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/v907qcl12t663pi/FreeFileSync_11.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%252810%2529.exe

chriskeeganhw

Hi

It is connected already.

I dont have to click on it in windows explorer to MAKE it connect. I can go to the mapped drive and it is there, working. And after having connected to it, the rec X still shows.

I dont think the red x under the mapped drive designtor is the problem.

But I have just started to get the error again. The NAS has NOT been powered down. But I had to reboot my router. Again, everything came back up working after the reouter came back up (including the mapped drive even though it has a red x under it) but am now getting the ERROR_ALREADY_ASSIGNED error in Freefilesync.

Regards

chriskeeganhw

Hi.

So I downloaded the ffs version from the link 2 posts above (https://www.mediafire.com/file/v907qcl12t663pi/FreeFileSync_11.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%252810%2529.exe

It seems to have fixed the problem. The file really upsets AVG Free tho !! I had to turn AVG off to install it and when turned back on AVG disrupted the first few attempts to run it

Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

I dont have to click on it in windows explorer to MAKE it connect. I can go to the mapped drive and it is there, working. And after having connected to it, the rec X still shows. chriskeeganhw, 28 Jan 2021, 15:24
Which tool are you using to show the drive contents if not Windows Explorer?
Site Admin

Zenju

It seems to have fixed the problem. chriskeeganhw, 28 Jan 2021, 15:36
Perfect! So it seems we have a little Windows bug here: WNetGetConnection() incorrectly returns ERROR_CONNECTION_UNAVAIL (=> outdated buffer), while WNetAddConnection2() responds with ERROR_ALREADY_ASSIGNED, which is correct.