Mac Mini M1 - Crash when Syncing Ext USB APFS to ReadyNAS

Get help for specific problems

Phil314

Dear - I keep experiencing a crash when I sync with my Mac Mini M1 between my external 8TB USB drives to a NAS (ReadyNAS 428). And I have this with 4 different disks. The syncing starts well but after 5-6 minutes the finder becomes slower and slower till it freeze - or sometimes the mac just crashes and reboots. I'm talking of >500K files but of those approx 10K are synced (mirrored from USB to NAS). Note that I tried to sync also with ChronoSync and it also crashes. The common denominators I see is that both use Rosetta and that I run now Big Sur (this setup worked perfectly fine on my previous Mac with version 11.4 on Mojave).

Any suggestions are welcome - is there an M1 version in the making then I can rule out that element already.

Thanks in advance

Phil314

Forgot to mention - ReadyNAS Shares are accessed via SMB3 optimised for Mac OS X
Site Admin

Zenju

What does the crash report say? https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#crash
Site Admin

Zenju

So let's test the new FreeFileSync M1 build!

Chances are good, this will avoid the crashes. It seems Rosetta 2 is consuming heaps of memory that a native build could avoid.

Please let me know how the FFS test version for M1 works for you: viewtopic.php?t=7997#p30217