FreeFileSync Crash Apple Silicon Mac

Get help for specific problems

jrp

When I make backup over network on my Mac Mini first everything work ok, then everything start hanging and if I don't stop backup Mac crash. That happend every time when backup size is severeal gigabytes. Small backup is work. Problem not exist when I make backup Thunderbolt or usb drive.
Site Admin

Zenju

jrp

No. Mac crash and no option to send or save crash report.

jrp

I am looking memory usage when I make backup. When I make local backup Mac not swap memory at all.
When I make backup over network swapped memory start increase and when is going over 2-3 gigabyte Mac is start hanging.

xCSxXenon

What are you backing up to?

jrp

I make backup my photos, videos and other personal files. Nothing special.

xCSxXenon

What are you backing up to? xCSxXenon, 16 Jan 2021, 17:27
Not what are you backing up, what are you backing up to?

jrp

I make backup to my Windows 10 NAS. Before Mac Mini I have Mac Pro and running OSX Mojave without any problem. Mac Pro and FreeFileSync work fine without any issue.

xCSxXenon

Any notable changes between when it worked and now? Trying reinstalling FFS? It doesn't sound like FFS, it sounds like there is something caching the data before sending it. Anything installed that scans files, like antivirus, cleaners, etc.?

jrp

Mac Mini is new but I use like old Mac Pro. Fresh install and first FreeFileSync version was 11.4 and now updated 11.5. Both has same issue. No cleaners, antivirus, etc.
I think Apple has some problem with OSX Big Sur,but FreeFileSync is only program what crash system repeatedly.

jrp

Now i get crash report and is attached this message.
Attachments
Kaatumisraportti.txt
(11.96 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Site Admin

Zenju

Looks like a system crash and not a FreeFileSync application crash. If FreeFileSync somehow triggers the system crash it still needs to be fixed by Apple.

jrp

Yes, system crash, but only when I make backup FreeFileSync over network. I have another backup software, Intego Backup Express, which is old and GUI is not work perfectly, but backup over network works well. Every time when I make large backup over network with FreeFileSync Mac crash.

I hope Apple fis this issue soon. FreeFileSync is great program and hope I can use again without issue.

schneidexe

Just wanted to chime in as I'm facing exactly the same issue on new MacBook Air M1 with Big Sur (backing up to Synology DS218+ via SMB). Too bad, as I really got used to FFS. So if there is any chance for a fix or workaround would be great. Also happy to support if I can provide any data or sth...

nuanda74

Me too. My Macbook Air M1 crashes after few minutes when trying to make big backups (70GB) via LAN on a Synology NAS. Same crash report as jrp (watchdog timeout: no checkins from watchdogd...)
Site Admin

Zenju

Let's test the new FFS M1 build! Chances are good, this will avoid the crashes. It seems Rosetta 2 is consuming heaps of memory that a native build could avoid.

Please let me know how the FFS test version for M1 works for you: viewtopic.php?t=7997#p30217

JKPhoto

Hi all,
Just wanted to report I am also seeing this crashing issue on my 2020 M1 Macbook Pro.

I just updated to version 11.13, which I think has the M1 build mentioned as a beta in previous posts, as in Activity Monitor FFS shows as Apple now under "Kind". Unfortunately even after this update my system is still crashing when syncing large files (about 93GB in my most recent case).

FFS will start fine, and it will begin copying files over to the network drive, but after 5-10 minutes the MBP completely crashes and re-boots like I had held the power button. In my case I am using FFS Donation Edition, running Big Sur 11.6. The network drive is a shared Windows computer connected to the MBP via SMB, with an ethernet connection.

Looking at Console, I'm not seeing any crash reports unfortunately. As a result, I don't know if this is an Apple issue or a FFS issue, but I thought I would mention it here again. Everything seems to work fine connecting to the drive and copying files via the Finder. It's only using FreeFileSync that the system crashes. Hoping this can get resolved eventually, as FFS is a great utility. Thanks.

alph-ffs

I've been dealing with this same issue for a while now. After some apple care support, messing around with rsync and all kinds of testing finally I was able to find the culprit.

For all you of who are facing this, I would run apple built in diagnostic (making sure hardware is fine).

Then you can do one of three options:
a) Change the communication protocol to AFP
PRO: easier if you have already the volume all set
CONS: it's slower than SMB 3.1

b) Create a blank disk from disk utility - you can either choose a Read/ Write or a Sparse
PRO: it's faster than AFP + if you create a sparse of let's say 1TB, you can change all you have in the AFP/SMB volumes because the space will only grown after you start copying files (there's no need to move them to external ssd and move them back to NAS volume)
CONS: You can only mount one dmg per user

c) run a rsync script with automator
PRO: might be faster if you use the update block feature
CONS: it hasn't the UI and all the features that make FFS so good

Those kernel panic reports already hit Apple, I believe they are aware of the issue. Let's hope Monterey will address this. If not, the workaround might work just fine for a couple of weeks.

It's never enough to stress this, nothing wrong with FFS 11.14.

Quoting:
"Apple's SMB filesystem client causes system stalls on M1 Macs, leads to kernel panics"
We have received several reports from M1 Mac users of kernel panics that occur while copying files to an SMB-mounted NAS volume. The kernel panic reports have confirmed that the SMB filesystem client (implemented via the smbfs.kext kernel extension) was stalled, which led to a "watchdog" panic.

RUBEN SALAZAR

I have the same problem with new M1 Mac Minis, sending data over the 10Gbps network:
- From one raid to other Raid in other M1 Mac Mini or...
- To Google Drive, through the cache folder but finally comparing against the 'cloud' synced data

First I thought it was the hardware (OWC Pro Dock with 10Gbps ethernet) but the same happened with other adapter (Sonnet Thunderbolt 3 to 10Gbps ethernet).

As it was failing through FFS we tested Finder and the same data crashing was moved correctly.

The data transfer speed average can be over 300MBps with peaks of 620MBps (HDDs Raid 5 in both sides).
But at some point it crashes. Curiously the last 3 tests close to the same point after transferring between 720 and 740GB (from 800GB) and a test in between worked fine moving 989GB in less than one hour.
The failed tests were moving and average of 16,500,000 packets although the successful test moved over 21,000,000 packets and 293MBps.

Disks are not sleeping.

I installed last version of FFS and activated Rosetta, and restarted computer.

It is happening in the same environment and different countries with same M1 Big Sur Minis, OWC Raids, and 10Gbps ethernet.

alph-ffs

This is a known issue for SMB protocol in macOS. You should change to AFP and get it done just fine.
Other software parties have already adapted in order to make it easier to switch.

LINK:
https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/macos-monterey-known-issues

Apple's SMB filesystem client causes system stalls, random application crashes, and may lead to kernel panics. We have received several reports (primarily from Apple Silicon Mac users) of unruly macOS behavior that occurs while copying files to an SMB-mounted NAS volume.

Eject the NAS volume if it's currently mounted
Open CCC and select the applicable backup task
Click on the Source or Destination selector (whichever is applicable for your particular task)
Hold down the Option key and choose "Switch to AFP" (provide the credentials for the NAS volume again if prompted)
Save and run the task

RUBEN SALAZAR

So... is it supposed that M1 with Big Sur (or Monterey) will use AFP instead SMB? In my case volumes are DAS connected to other M1 Minis. And the flow is syncing data from independent Raids to bigger disk for technicians. Data size can be an average of 2TB.

alph-ffs

I believe so. I'm not using Free File Sync anymore so I cannot tell if there is still an issue.

mauricev

I am seeing kernel panics when copying using FreeFileSync to an SMB share on an M1 Pro laptop running 12.3.

RUBEN SALAZAR

We were able to avoid this issue by accessing from other computers, but now, with a new pipeline of Mac Minis M1 connected to a NAS with 10Gbps the problem is back...

I tried Big Sur, Monterey and a beta of Ventura.

I managed a nsmb.conf file to force Samba 2, Samba 1, Samba 3, Samba 2 and 3,....

My next chance is upgrading all the devices -switchs, NAS, computers- to Jumbo MTU and check if reduced number of packages is better.

It seems to be always a problem linked to ethernet adapters connected to Thunderbolt 3, but not the port when using DAS devices and data transfer between disks.
Any suggestion? THANKS!

RUBEN SALAZAR

I have been testing again... Always the average is 30GB till the system starts suffering. And kernel_task increases the % till the computer hangs. See here:

M1 FREEFILESYNC KERNEL TASK 01.jpg
M1 FREEFILESYNC KERNEL TASK 01.jpg (323.94 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
In this screenshot the data transferred arrives to 30GB -as usual before crashing-, the speed is reduced to 35MBps, the CPU becomes red, the Kernel_task is over 100%.

But, after stopping FFS the system still is collapsing, till I decided sending the data with a copy / paste from Finder. Then the system automatically recovered and the high speed transfer kept. In our case through a 10Gbe getting close to 800MBs from a Raid 5 with 4 disks to a NAS:

M1 FINDER NETWORK 01.jpg
M1 FINDER NETWORK 01.jpg (205.63 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
In this screenshot I pasted the copied files to the NAS through Finder, the % CPU got automatically reduced, the data transfer speed is 792MBps, the computer didn't hang.

So no problem with Thunderbolt 3 ports or adapters to 10Gbe. No problem with Samba 3 or Samba 2 as I tried to manage. No problem with MTU for ethernet card.

I have been downloading and installing all the versions from the past and testing. The same issue and behaviour.
The version tested here is the 11.12, the first not Intel.
11.25 had the same bad result. Any suggestion?

RUBEN SALAZAR

However, getting content from the NAS to the M1 is working fine:
M1 GETTING DATA FROM NAS.png
M1 GETTING DATA FROM NAS.png (585.31 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
So the problem is sending data from the M1, with the app, through the network but not with Finder
Site Admin

Zenju

@RUBEN SALAZAR:
Great testing and write up! From your descriptions it sounds like macOS is caching all copied data in the file system cache, even to the degree that the system runs out of memory and becomes unstable.
This clearly is a bug in the OS, but it's also something that FFS could avoid to trigger.

Here's a test version that doesn't write to the file system cache. Do you see any improvement?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wztecf4aoqbgavj/FreeFileSync_11.26_beta_macOS%25282%2529.zip

RUBEN SALAZAR

BINGO! It keeps running without stressing the computer!! Yeah! You got the solution to people with M1s! THANKS!!

The only issue could be the speed, under 400MBps, while Finder is able to achieve 800MBps (in our case, reading from 4x HDDs Raid 5 and writing to a NAS).

Plerry

This may also be the result of using "Fail-safe file copy" (FFS GUI, Tools, Options, top left).
You can test, just for the sake of experiment.
But you may consider if it is wise to always turn this off; see e.g. here.