ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: The system cannot find the file specified. [BackupWrite]

Get help for specific problems

78Staff

Found a few older threads on this, but most seem to be corrected with a beta/fix or new release. I've started receiving this error on a few file transfers recently.. well today, actually. The progress bar shows it writing the entire file, and at the end, it pops this error.

If I manually copy the file with Windows Explorer, I do get this warning, but the copy completes when I click Yes/OK:

"Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties?
The file (filename) has properties that can't be copied to the new location".

This is transferring/copying a file (ripped mp4 typically) from local desktop SSD to a NAS. Google suggests this is caused by file being copied from one type of file system to another, but this is the first time I have run across this with FFS and have been transferring TB of data previously. The files were able to be copied previously without the error, but due to having to rebuild the volume, I'm having to re-copy files over. It's not occurring with all files, but say 3 or 3 files out of a few hundred.

FFS version 11.5, Windows 10

Thanks
Site Admin

Zenju

The source file is "sparse". Does your NAS support sparse files? The NAS is telling FFS it does, but that's probably not true, a.k.a. a bug in the NAS software, unless the file system is NTFS.

78Staff

Not sure, I will check into it... Here is the full error:

6:17:39 AM Error Cannot write file "\\10.1.1.1\home\Media\Movie\G\Gone Girl (2014)\Gone Girl (2014)~400d.ffs_tmp".
ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: The system cannot find the file specified. [BackupWrite]

What confounds me is that it has never occurred previously, for these same files. And it only occurs on some files - for instance I've transferred about 2TB so far and it's failed/errored on just 4 or 5 files. But never got this error previously.

Source drive is NTFS - Target drive is BTRFS.

78Staff

Actually, now that I look at what I typed... I wonder if BTRFS is the issue. Previously my NAS was configured EXT4.
Site Admin

Zenju

What filesystem is shown for the "\\10.1.1.1\home" drive when you right-click->properties in Windows Explorer?

78Staff

It does not show a filesystem type - I think that only displays on the root of a drive, ie C, D, etc...

Storage Manager shows as Btrfs. If I need to revert to EXT4 I can, but want to to sure that is the issue as I will have to re-transfer about 2TB

Also - As a test I deleted my source file, then moved the file back over from the NAS. Then re-ran FFS which transferred the file without the error. So whatever it is initially objecting to, once I get the file in place manually - it no longer generates the error.
Site Admin

Zenju

It does not show a filesystem type - I think that only displays on the root of a drive, ie C, D, etc... 78Staff, 20 Jan 2021, 12:03
You can work around this limitation byl temporarily mapping the network share to a drive letter. If you then right-click on this mapped drive Explorer will show the file system as it is reported by the NAS.

Also - As a test I deleted my source file, then moved the file back over from the NAS. Then re-ran FFS which transferred the file without the error. So whatever it is initially objecting to, once I get the file in place manually - it no longer generates the error. 78Staff, 20 Jan 2021, 12:03
Sure, the file is no longer sparse then.

therube

You can work around this limitation by temporarily mapping the network share to a drive letter. If you then right-click on this mapped drive Explorer will show the file system as it is reported by the NAS.
So you're saying...
net use M: \\NAS\music
then right-click M:, Properties, & it (incorrectly) shows NTFS (on my end, on a Synology NAS)?
Site Admin

Zenju

There was a similar issue in the past: viewtopic.php?t=1650

The question is how to distinguish these fake from real NTFS file systems.

Can you run the following FFS test version and report the error message that you'll see when you try to copy a sparse file to your NAS?
https://www.mediafire.com/file/sestv5n52r35928/FreeFileSync_11.6_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25288%2529.exe

78Staff

I wound up re-configuring the NAS and moved back to EXT4, and haven't seen the error since. So it must be something with BTRFS or how NAS is reporting BTRFS file system.