Issues with MPT on Android Smartphone

Get help for specific problems

dk411

Hi, i am using the software to sync my music folder from the smartphone to the PC, mirroring the folder on the phone to the PC as to have an archive.
There is an issue which bothers me a lot: everytime I want to sync, i need 3 tries. At the first try, it detects which songs are new/changed and copies them to the PC. Then it deletes the older versions from the PC, and then it freezes. I need to disconnect the smartphone in order to shutdown the software.
Then i reconnect the phone, and start the syncing file again. Now the songs seem properly synced, it only wants to copy a sync.ffs_db file from the phone to the pc. I start the sync, which again freezes the software.
Again i need to unplug the phone, reconnect it, and restart the file. Now it doesn't want to sync something anymore, i press the "start sync" button, and I finally get the message that the operation was successful...
Am I the only one with this issue? Using a Samsung S9+ and a fully updated Windows 10 PC.
Thanks in advance

xCSxXenon

MTP sucks, no alternative either unfortunately.
viewtopic.php?t=8319&p=29117&hilit=mtp#p29117
This worked for me

dk411

I have no USB 2.0 ports on my laptop, but I tried an old USB 2.0 cable with an adapter to USB-C. This didn't work either. Well, so I'm going to get used to this routine... Thanks anyway!

xzczd

Same issue on Xiaomi MI6 and Win10. Really annoying!

Lyrus

Would be nice to see if you get same results as mine described in:
viewtopic.php?t=8407

dk411

This is it! If I delete the sync.ffs_db file prior to every synchronization, it works. As I only read the files from the MTP folder and write them on the PC, there are no issues as described by your post.
I still don't get what the use of the ffs_db file is tho. I tought it was some sort of database but also without that file the software recognized which files habe been modified and synced everything fine. What is the use of a file which doesn't influence the synchronization in any way?

Sonik_C

I think the .db files are for detecting what files have been moved around.
I've always disabled the "Detect Moved Files" option for all my MTP Devices, so it doesn't use the .db files. I haven't had any issues since. Syncs without freezing every time now.
I don't move around a lot of files on my phones anyway.
Might not be the perfect option for everyone, but it's always worked for me.

dk411

Thank you for the info! I never move files around on my phone, so now it works like a charm for me. I understand that it may not be the best solution for some people but for me it is perfect like this. Thanks again.

Lyrus

If you mirror your phone to PC there sould be no problem at all.

Setting synchronization as 'Mirror' and not opting for 'Detect moved files' means FFS doesn't touch any file and doesn't save/modify any db on the phone.

Better then nothing I will probably use it but I badly miss the 'Two way' synchronization.