Cannot read file attributes of mapped network drive

Get help for specific problems

srj321

Hi,

Have a version of FFS running on one Windows 10 pc (it is an old version of FFS - about 6.0). That is able to do a mirror back up of a mapped network drive (Z:). However I am now trying to set it up using the latest version 11.11 on a different computer and as far as I can see I have exactly same settings but I am getting the following error when trying to mirror the whole of the mapped drive Z:

Cannot find the following folders:

Z:\

Cannot read file attributes of "Z:\".
ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: The system cannot find the file specified. [FindFirstFile]

I can browse and select a folder on the mapped drive and it can mirror that without any problems - just when I try and do the whole drive it fails. I have the mapped drive credentials saved under windows credentials and as I said if go into the Z: drive and select a folder through FFS then this can be mirrored. Therefore not too sure where I am going wrong with this.

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

xCSxXenon

So I understand you are sharing a location and mapping it as Z:\, but what is being shared exactly? If you are sharing a whole partition, you have to set permissions for both the shared folder and the local drive letter to allow either the 'everyone' user or whatever user you are connecting with have access to the volume. By default, folders allow this access, but the root of the volume does not

srj321

Many thanks for the response.

The set up is that I have a server called Main and have a historical folder called WORK_DATA on the server - and have about 5 pcs which have all mapped this folder to their pc as "Z:" - so it's UNC name is "\\MAIN\Work_DATA" Have no problems any of the pcs writing to that "Work_Data" folder on the server and as I said I have a pc already set up that can create a back up of "Work_Data" but it is using FFS 6.0. So the permissions for sharing seem to be working as I can back it up. Interestingly tried another backup solution - and that prompted me for the server user name and password - and then started doing the back up of the mapped drive Z: without having to change any further permssions. So not sure in terms of the permissions you are talking about.

Thanks

xCSxXenon

Well that rules out what I was thinking. If it's mapped and browsable, it should work. I wonder if the dev can look into the "FindFirstFile" error, I have never seen that

xCSxXenon

After looking up that error, I am thinking it's a Windows issue rather than FFS. The pc with the issue is also Windows 10? What if you were to remove the credentials and disconnect the mapping then redoing them after a restart?
Site Admin

Zenju

ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND is masking the real error, which I suspect to be something like access denied because there is no authenticated session to this server. Evidence is the password prompt you get with the other backup tool. The masking error has been fixed in FFS: https://www.mediafire.com/file/2tkx93u7af09b96/FreeFileSync_11.13_%255BBeta%255D_Windows_Setup%25282%2529.exe

The next question is then why you don't also get a password prompt with FFS. A Process Monitor trace could shed some light: https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace