Preserving modified dates on copied files to a NFS

Get help for specific problems

pedromdiasferreira

I have FFS configured to mirroring files from an USB drive to a NFS (WD Home Cloud). When the mirroring is done, the destination file has the current modified date and don't get the source file timestamp. As the files are photos, it is important to me that the modified dates of copied files are the same of the original ones.

When I do the comparison action, differences are detected in the files because modified date are diferents. After, I do the synchronization/mirroring, the files are copied again, but the modified date is "updated" to the current date/time.

I know this topic has already discussed in this forum, but I couldn't conclude if this issue has a resolution.

Is it possible to help me?

Thanks a lot.

Pedro

xCSxXenon

It is the way the NAS is configured. Whether you can fix it or not is dependent on the NAS

pedromdiasferreira

Thanks xCSxXenon for the help.

I have few knowledge of NAS configuration. Can anyone help me configure this on "My Cloud Home" from WD? On the configuration page of "My Cloud Home" I don't find any option to do this.

Thanks in advance.

xCSxXenon

https://community.wd.com/t/synching-date-modified-issue/245329/5
Same issue here, no fix. It's just the way WD handles the transferring.

pedromdiasferreira

Yes, I have the exact same needs and the same issue as reported on WD Community.
The strange thing is that if I copy/past through Windows Explorer the copied files keep the original date. Any explanation for this fact?

Plerry

This may be related to the protocol being used.
Your initial posting suggests in FreeFileSync (FFS) you use an NFS connection to your WD Home Cloud.
With Windows Explorer, you almost certainly use an SMB connection.
I don't know the WD Home Cloud, but likely you can can also make a SMB connection, as connecting via Windows Explorer suggests.
You can try a drag&drop of the WD Home Cloud target folder as it shows in Windows Explorer folder to the FFS GUI right base location (right top field below "drag&drop").

In case that does not work (directly), see here.

therube

SMB is not safe.
(That said, I've got it running here.
That said even so, we still periodically cannot browse (I guess it is) "Network Neighborhood".
[And sometimes we can. Got me?])

---

Reading through some posts, seems "WD My Cloud" is a (I can only say, intentionally) brain dead product.
(Among other things), The date on WD My cloud is wrong. Unable to sett the date.
So the CMOS battery goes dead, & the system can no longer get the current date/time.
So maybe a firmware update to the box & or getting/setting the boxes date correctly, might help?

xCSxXenon

SMB is perfectly safe, depending on what version you use. SMB 1, absolutely not. Modern WD Myclouds use at least SMB 2 if you update the firmware, and most are SMB 3 supported

therube

(You're correct. It is SMBv1 which is not secure.)