Cannot backup a certain file(s)

Get help for specific problems

mb6391

FreeFileSync works (almost) 100% backing up my data to a NAS apart from a certain file type namely *.wpp.

The files are located on C drive and the NAS is designated S drive. Everything else backs up fine.

Attached screenshots - any help assistance would be appreciated as tearing my hair out

THanks for looking
ffs05.jpg
ffs05.jpg (242.92 KiB) Viewed 488 times
ffs04.jpg
ffs04.jpg (441.74 KiB) Viewed 488 times
ffs03.jpg
ffs03.jpg (300.44 KiB) Viewed 488 times
ffs02.jpg
ffs02.jpg (487.9 KiB) Viewed 488 times
ffs01.jpg
ffs01.jpg (492.81 KiB) Viewed 488 times

mb6391

An update - apologies forgot to mention.

In the backup destination drive folder it leaves a file - ldhs~30ce.ffs_tmp which is 102mb. So the program is trying but not able to complete the action.

xCSxXenon

I would remove the filters you added. Good troubleshooting step, but that is not causing the issue. Something is preventing FFS from renaming the temp file it creates to the real name of the file. What is your NAS? A Windows share, a dedicated box like Synology, or something else?

mb6391

Hi - thanks for responding.

Filters removed. I'm using a Synology 220J running 2x8TB drives as RAID0. The DSM is v7.0

FFS is working perfectly with all other file types and other files within the c:\a pm7\a website\ldhs serif\ and c:\a pm7\a website\ldhs serif21\.

Other files which are far larger are backing up fine. It's just those with the *.wpp suffix that it stumbles over.

mb6391

Have just run a permissions report from the Synology. It was ultra large so edited down to the pertinent part.
Attachments
Synology_PermissionReport_20211014-155418.xlsx
(7.77 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Synology_PermissionReport_20211014-155418.csv
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

mb6391

A further update. Have just backed up my vital files to a USB connected 1TB drive which I keep in the car. All files backed up perfectly including those *.wpp files.

So I'm now stumped.

xCSxXenon

What if you simply change the extension of the wpp files to something else like txt, just as a test.

mb6391

ffs07.jpg
ffs07.jpg (330.73 KiB) Viewed 443 times
ffs08.jpg
ffs08.jpg (424.71 KiB) Viewed 443 times
Hi - firstly thank you for your suggestions. Renamed the offending files to *.txt - a no go.
So tried renaming them completely to test.txt and test2.txt - still a no go.

I can manually copy these *.wpp files to the NAS.

However, a strange point, even when FFS is closed it creates the old files namely ldhs21~439a.ffs_tmp with a size of 102mb exactly the same size as the *.wpp. Have checked task manager and there are no instances of FFS secretly running in the background although it is scheduled via Windows Scheduler.

So really I have no idea where to go from here.

mb6391

Sorry forgot to mention in my frustration - these old files on the NAS have been manually deleted previously. They are being recreated after I copy the files manually - the *.wpp ones across to the NAS. Same size and datestamp.

therube

Just throwing out ideas...

Start with a new sync (new sync settings)
Set an Update sync, from C:\TMP to your existing S:\Media\* directory
(& make that C:\TMP a directory with a single .wpp or .txt or whatever file in it)
Does that copy successfully?

Disable Fail-safe copy
Any change with that?

Re-enable Fail-safe

Create a new directory on S:, say S:\TMP\BACKUP
Again copy from C:\TMP but this to this newly created directory S:\TMP\BACKUP

Did that work?

Might that NAS itself have some sort of sync or cleanup ongoing?

mb6391

Throwing out ideas worked and reporting back in case anyone else has the same problem.

Followed your idea re c:\tmp and disabled File-safe copy. All worked fine. Re-enabled File-safe with a *.wpp file in c:\tmp - copied perfectly.

Then with File-safe enabled went back to normal backup without the *.wpp file in the destination. Hey presto - it works fine. So whatever disabling and re-enabling did under the hood rattled something around and everything now perfect.

So thank you and I owe you - kind regards
Attachments
ffs10.jpg
ffs10.jpg (352.82 KiB) Viewed 410 times
ffs09.jpg
ffs09.jpg (408.83 KiB) Viewed 410 times

mb6391

FFS Sync 11.14 stopped working on those pesky *.wpp files at the same time as MSoft released a definition update to Windows Defender - 23rd October. It only affected me backing up to the Synology NAS.

Installed FFS 11.15 (beta) and now working fine again. Plenty of *.tmp files left behind which were only able to be deleted from Synology File Manager - Windows Explorer refused.

Think the FFS developers are going to have their work cut out keeping up to date.

So in the meantime, reluctantly went back to Win File History which was of course unaffected. As foljks that have used it will know, it is basic, doesn't notify you of if/when a backup has been successful or not, etc, etc.

The internet is littered with backup errors to networked drives - not just limited to FFS. Whilst there doesn't appear to be a definitive solution it seems to be in the hands of MS but clearly having FFS working fine one day, then failing the next after MS step in is not a way forward.