RecycleBin folders in destination can't be deleted?

Get help for specific problems

ScottAtPanther

First off, thanks for making such a helpful piece of software, it's been vital during these times where some days are work-from-home and some days are work-from-the-office. Making sure everything is in sync has been great.

When I attempted to sync back to my work computer from my external HD this morning, it wouldn't copy the files over, instead throwing up errors and creating a folder in the destination with the name "RecycleBin~a28b.ffs_tmp". This file cannot be deleted, when I try, it throws up an error "Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty." I restarted the computer, still can't delete the folder, tried to do another sync, it created another folder, "RecycleBin~c569.ffs_tmp". Same results.

How can I:
1) Get rid of these files?
2) Get FFS operating properly again?
Attachments
DailyBackup 2021-10-15 084231.529 [Error].html
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
DailyBackup 2021-10-15 084646.715 [Error].html
(9.56 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

xCSxXenon

Recycle Bin is filtered out by default for a good reason, I would put that back in the filters. Run a chkdsk on the drive, that is a common symptom. Drive may be failing, may not be, check with Gsmarcontrol.

ScottAtPanther

On the Synchronization Settings - Filter tab, under "All Folder Pairs", there are already the following exclusions:

\System Volume Information\
\$Recycle.Bin\
\RECYCLE?\
*/thumbs.db

I have never edited this list, from the time I installed FFS.

If it makes any difference, I'm syncing between my office computer's main internal SSD and an external USB-C SSD. Which one would you suggest I run chkdsk on?

xCSxXenon

I would run it on both, it can't hurt anything. I would fine out where the extra Recycle Bin folder is and delete it outright, after checking what is in it, if possible. Windows uses the "$Recycle.Bin" format so no clue where that other one came from. I'm assuming this drive is only plugged into Windows computers?

ScottAtPanther

I'll look into that.

I'm not sure where the other one came from - the folder doesn't seem to exist on the USB drive. I do have an Ubuntu partition on my home machine, but I never sync to the USB from the home machine; I work off of the USB drive on my Windows partition. I can't remember having the drive plugged in while running Ubuntu, but it may have happened.

Plerry

Well, your present Exclude Filter rules do not exclude the RecycleBin~a28b.ffs_tmp directory or any of its contents.
In order to make things work, you can add *\RecycleBin* to your list of exclusions, while that does not seem to exclude too much.
Site Admin

Zenju

Are you able to reproduce these errors? The logs are totally weird.

First it says "\RecycleBin~a28b.ffs_tmp\21-1601 Petit Giraffe Montessori" ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS
This cannot be true, since the a28b part is randomly selected by FFS.

Later it says Cannot delete directory "RecycleBin~a28b.ffs_tmp". ERROR_DIR_NOT_EMPTY
This also cannot be true. The message suggests the directory is existing, but who created it? Cannot have been FFS, because this attempt failed previously.
Even if FFS somehow created it. Why is it non-empty? According to the log, FFS did not succeed to move even a single file into it.

So it looks like the target location, "\\pan01dc04\" is in some really strange state. If reproducible, though, maybe Process Monitor could help clear things up: https://freefilesync.org/faq.php#trace

ScottAtPanther

I haven't been able to reproduce it, since I added "RecycleBin~*.ffs_tmp" to the filter.
Site Admin

Zenju

I haven't been able to reproduce it, since I added "RecycleBin~*.ffs_tmp" to the filter. ScottAtPanther, 21 Oct 2021, 16:17
This doesn't do anything. The "ffs_tmp" are temporary files created, managed, and cleaned up by FFS.

ScottAtPanther

I haven't been able to reproduce it, since I added "RecycleBin~*.ffs_tmp" to the filter. ScottAtPanther, 21 Oct 2021, 16:17
This doesn't do anything. The "ffs_tmp" are temporary files created, managed, and cleaned up by FFS. Zenju, 22 Oct 2021, 18:00
I don't know what to tell you, then. It does seem to have at least stopped FFS from throwing up errors about those folders.

I haven't been able to run CHKDSK yet - this is on the work computer, and we've been 100% slammed with work.

I haven't been able to reproduce FFS creating those folders, though. Not sure where they came from, not sure how to get rid of them.