versioning file in the same folder itself

Discuss new features and functions

ahm.fauzan

I am really amaze with your software!
I need a versioning file but copy into the same path itself. It will be great to have such kind of feature since our design team is progressively updating a review file. Have a versioning file in the same folder will make our team easy to search the version file rather than move to the other path / folder since we have 12 model file simultaneously progressively updated daily.

Many Thanks,

therube

Not sure, but thinking (in general) no.

If only a single directory, then perhaps.
If only a single directory, then you could set the versioning directory to that single directory.
Likewise, I'd think you'd want to set up an Exclude mask for versioned files.

Macros
If there were a %CWD% variable (to mean the Current Working Directory), maybe something like that could work?

dabbadoo

I need a versioning file but copy into the same path itself. ahm.fauzan, 16 Sep 2022, 03:46
New to FreeFileSync, but longtime user of similar tools.
This feature is implemented in some sync tools I've used, and is very useful. The backup versions are stored in an auto-generated backup history subfolder with a standardized name, directly under the root of each side of the sync, making backups very easy to find, and can have the 'hidden' flag set in the filesystem. Alternatively backups can be stored in the %AppData% location for the tool, or in a custom location, with files deleted after a certain time or size is reached. The whole relative path tree to the backed-up file is replicated, with subfolders, etc., under the backup history folder, so it's easy to retrace the old relative path location. The entire backup history tree is automatically excluded from any sync jobs by an automatic global filter on the standardized name.

I quite like FreeFileSync so far, but this would be a good feature to add.

The idea of %CWD% could work as %SyncRoot%, if the whole folder tree is replicated, otherwise there will be backup history folders everywhere, which I can say from experience isn't very tidy, lol.
Site Admin

Zenju

This feature is implemented in some sync tools I've used, and is very useful. The backup versions are stored in an auto-generated backup history subfolder with a standardized name, directly under the root of each side of the sync, making backups very easy to find, and can have the 'hidden' flag set in the filesystem. Alternatively backups can be stored in the %AppData% location for the tool, or in a custom location, with files deleted after a certain time or size is reached. The whole relative path tree to the backed-up file is replicated, with subfolders, etc., under the backup history folder, so it's easy to retrace the old relative path location. The entire backup history tree is automatically excluded from any sync jobs by an automatic global filter on the standardized name. dabbadoo, 19 Oct 2022, 05:06
You can set up all of that with FFS. Just make sure to exclude the versioned files from sync.