unique GUID

Get help for specific problems

Archimedes417

I have two USB memory keys that seem to have the same GUID. One of them suddenly 'disappears' after it has been written to by FFS and FFS then throws an "ERROR_NO_SUCH_DEVICE" . Then Windows 10 file manager can't find it either. The first time this happened I eventually recovered by re-booting Windows, I want a better solution. I didn't notice the duplication until it happened again. They have different serial numbers as recognized by Oracle VirtualBox.
Last edited by Archimedes417 on 17 Sep 2022, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

Archimedes417

I forgot to mention that I am using FFS Version 11.21 64 bit in Windows 10. What else do you need to know?

Archimedes417

New information. I tried effectively the same operation directly in the file manager and that multiple file copy operation also failed with the same error message but this time the USB remained visible in the file manager instead of disappearing. I am not sure how to tell why this issue only started after using the same memorized operations for several months identified with the Windows drive letters instead of the GUIDs. I only started using the GUIDs after Windows decided to scramble the drive letters, then this issue started in only one of three memorized pairs involving writes to a certain USB. I do suspect that the text string going to the OS is pretty long, but I have no idea if that is the source of this error.

xCSxXenon

Sounds like bad storage devices more than anything

therube

Don't know if any of these will help, but worth a look & see if they might at least point something out to you?

Nirsoft: DevManView
Nirsoft: USBDeview
Uwe: USBDLM - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows

Archimedes417

Still trying to get to the source of my problem, it seems that the string that FreeFileSync calls the Guid is not the same as the string that the Disks program in Ubuntu calls the UUID. I previously overlooked that the last character in the first segment of the GUID is incremented by one between the two USBs, but I have not pinned down how to cross reference the identifiers from one program to the other. I need to be sure that I know physically which one might be failing. They are both SanDisk products, USB 3 keys, so not too old.